Author Topic: Reusable bags  (Read 7152 times)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Reusable bags
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »
Like others, I say just ask for them back.

But I see getting annoyed.  I get really really internally ticked off when people put not trash in trash bags.  Its just a subtly nasty and cruel and thoughtless thing to do IMO.  The very name "trash bag", not to mention their most common usage: trash, makes it just so obviously not ok for items that are not trash to be put in them.  Grocery bags, reused boxes, reusables, I don't care, but trash bags?  No, not cool.  It seems like a little thing on the surface but subconsciously its clicking somewhere - your (or your child's) stuff is quite literally being treated as garbage.

I don't think that's true for everyone at all, though, so it's not "so obviously not ok for items that are not trash to be put in them."  I put my own items that are not trash in trash bags all the time -- sweaters, balls of yarn, Christmas decorations, etc.  They're handy for many things other than trash.  Most of my friends use them this way too.  So to many people, there's nothing nasty or cruel about it.   

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »

But I see getting annoyed.  I get really really internally ticked off when people put not trash in trash bags.  Its just a subtly nasty and cruel and thoughtless thing to do IMO.  The very name "trash bag", not to mention their most common usage: trash, makes it just so obviously not ok for items that are not trash to be put in them.  Grocery bags, reused boxes, reusables, I don't care, but trash bags?  No, not cool.  It seems like a little thing on the surface but subconsciously its clicking somewhere - your (or your child's) stuff is quite literally being treated as garbage.

I don't think that's true for everyone at all, though, so it's not "so obviously not ok for items that are not trash to be put in them."  I put my own items that are not trash in trash bags all the time -- sweaters, balls of yarn, Christmas decorations, etc.  They're handy for many things other than trash.  Most of my friends use them this way too.  So to many people, there's nothing nasty or cruel about it.   

I agree, I was kind of puzzled about that too.  Trash bags (the kind you use to line the kitchen garbage container, for example) are often stronger than the plastic grocery bags, for one thing. I can't imagine any of my friends being upset with me for returning an item inside one.

lollylegs

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 06:44:22 PM »

I agree, I was kind of puzzled about that too.  Trash bags (the kind you use to line the kitchen garbage container, for example) are often stronger than the plastic grocery bags, for one thing. I can't imagine any of my friends being upset with me for returning an item inside one.

Also, they're a lot bigger. The OP mentioned that her child took a lot of toys so it was probably easier to put them all in one big bag than have to lug several shopping bags around. I think that saying that using a garbage bag = treating someone's stuff like garbage is a little unfair.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
A large, well-known, chain retailer was packing large toys at the cashier station. The cashiers were instructed to ask very clearly, "Would you like to take this item as is, or would you like me to pack in in the large green bag?"  The 'large green bag' came from a box labeled 'Trash Bags'. Oh, for Pete's sake! It it clean and does its job!

I disagree with the poster who said that trash bag means trash and there is an undercurrent or subconsionce feeling about using trash bags.

For me, it is just a nice large bag that will stay clean and do it's job or a grocery bag to be reused.

For the OP, I would definitely ask for the bags back. I have dificulty in understanding why this is a big deal, but it must be to you and MIL. Just go with the flow and please don't gather implications  where none are truly intended. Just mention the bags you paid for, how handy they are, and how useful they will be in the long run.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
A large, well-known, chain retailer was packing large toys at the cashier station. The cashiers were instructed to ask very clearly, "Would you like to take this item as is, or would you like me to pack in in the large green bag?"  The 'large green bag' came from a box labeled 'Trash Bags'. Oh, for Pete's sake! It it clean and does its job!

I disagree with the poster who said that trash bag means trash and there is an undercurrent or subconsionce feeling about using trash bags.

For me, it is just a nice large bag that will stay clean and do it's job or a grocery bag to be reused.

For the OP, I would definitely ask for the bags back. I have dificulty in understanding why this is a big deal, but it must be to you and MIL. Just go with the flow and please don't gather implications  where none are truly intended. Just mention the bags you paid for, how handy they are, and how useful they will be in the long run.

Re the last paragraph - if OP had sent the kids with cloth/canvas reuseable bags, I can understand wanting them back, at some point.  But I agree that this should not be a major issue - simply ask that they put them aside and OP can collect them next time they visit.  I also agree that I'm baffled that anyone would think that there was some kind of hidden message included when the items were returned in non-resuseable bags.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »

I agree.  When we leave my parents house with our toddler, the car is often very full.  I often put all our dirty clothes in a trash bag.  It squishes into any cranny, leaving room for other stuff. 

But, I would want the bags back. 

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »

I never realized what my parents were implying when they made me a rain poncho out of a trash bag while camping.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »

Re the last paragraph - if OP had sent the kids with cloth/canvas reuseable bags, I can understand wanting them back, at some point.  But I agree that this should not be a major issue - simply ask that they put them aside and OP can collect them next time they visit.  I also agree that I'm baffled that anyone would think that there was some kind of hidden message included when the items were returned in non-resuseable bags.

Sorry! I meant why asking for them back shouldn't be a big deal. I do think the bags themselves are worth keeping track of!

Adoptstrays

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »

I never realized what my parents were implying when they made me a rain poncho out of a trash bag while camping.

Okay that definitely gave me my first Monday morning giggle.. ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »

Okay that definitely gave me my first Monday morning giggle.. ;D

Mine were implying that it didn't rain often enough in West Texas to bother having a waterproof garment for growing children...and if it was raining - we were likely out there playing in it anyway - as long as we weren't all dressed up for church or school...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
OK YMMV, but to me trash bags are for garbage.  They are ugly black shapeless sacks that IMO make everything look depressed and can very easily be mistaken for actual trash and put out to a curb.  The OP clearly took the care to put the toys in real bags - not even grocery store bags, which like garbage bags are disposable but which are at least generally brighter, lighter colors.  She got her child's toys back in garbage bags - it might not bother some of you but I personally do see it as a level of disrespect for the OP's [child's] items. 

Its like when you go to a diner and read the courtesy newspaper - you find it all nicely folded and put together but you leave it all opened and sections pulled apart and pages folded backwards to the original crease - sure its still totally usable but its been treated in a way that is disrespectful of the owner and next person who wants to read it.  I see the OP's situation as similar - she took care on her end and got back a distinct lack of care about her reusable bags.

lollylegs

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »
OK YMMV, but to me trash bags are for garbage.  They are ugly black shapeless sacks that IMO make everything look depressed and can very easily be mistaken for actual trash and put out to a curb.  The OP clearly took the care to put the toys in real bags - not even grocery store bags, which like garbage bags are disposable but which are at least generally brighter, lighter colors.  She got her child's toys back in garbage bags - it might not bother some of you but I personally do see it as a level of disrespect for the OP's [child's] items. 

Its like when you go to a diner and read the courtesy newspaper - you find it all nicely folded and put together but you leave it all opened and sections pulled apart and pages folded backwards to the original crease - sure its still totally usable but its been treated in a way that is disrespectful of the owner and next person who wants to read it.  I see the OP's situation as similar - she took care on her end and got back a distinct lack of care about her reusable bags.

I can understand the sentiment - I'm sure we all have our little quirks like that - but the problem is in trying to apply this line of thought as a general rule.