Author Topic: Why do you need to know that?  (Read 6461 times)

ajbell

Re: Why do you need to know that?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
I think I'd ask for clarification as to why these answers are needed.  Since you said you are a court administrator, I could see needing some of these answers in case of possible conflict of interest (i.e. where your spouse is employed) so you don't handle something that might allow something to be thrown out.  I can also see needing names and DOB for that as well.  As far as hobbies go, well, I don't see any need to answer that.

That's what immediately came to mind when I read the OP.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »
I worked at a small company once and they were really excited because they were going to get health insurance!  It didn't affect me, though, b/c I was covered under DH's policy at his work.  So I didn't answer any of the very personal questions on the form, or even turn the form in.  Then the boss came back to me and said 'we need you to fill this out'. Again, I declined.  This was my personal medical information, and I was NOT going to give it out because I was NOT going to use their insurance.  Then boss came back AGAIN and said that they needed me to fill it out, just b/c I was employed there, and they had to have forms from everyone as proof of how many people they employed, regardless of whether or not the employee was going to use the insurance.  I was not happy.

I doubt it's exactly like that, since you're government, but it could be something similarly weird (although the personal nature of the questions does give me pause...)

I still wouldn't fill it out though.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 12:56:59 AM »
I don't think you need to provide that level of information for health insurance.  Nobody in any company you work for needs to know this stuff for any reason.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:13 AM »
There is no reason whatsoever why they would need this information or are entitled to it.    How weird.

Generally I'd recommend "I'm afraid that won't be possible" but that's risky in a work scenario - better to clarify in a friendly way why they need it, then make it clear why you don't feel that sharing that information is appropriate.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 06:36:26 AM »
I would run his request by HR. It is possible just asking for this information is a violation. (Something very similar happened at the last place I work, and it caused a big brouhaha)
That's what I was thinking. There are usually very strict rules about children's data (including secure storage), so the last one at least sends up red flags for me. It may be totally innocent, but I would clarify it with him if you can.

MindsEye

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
For every field but "Name" and "Position" I think that I would simply write in "N/A".  Not applicable.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
It surprises me that he's allowed to ask for that information.  My husband can't even ask his employees for their home and/or cell phone numbers!  He can't ask them for ANY personal information, period.

An employer can't ask for an employee's phone number? 

Jules1980

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
I worked at a small company once and they were really excited because they were going to get health insurance!  It didn't affect me, though, b/c I was covered under DH's policy at his work.  So I didn't answer any of the very personal questions on the form, or even turn the form in.  Then the boss came back to me and said 'we need you to fill this out'. Again, I declined.  This was my personal medical information, and I was NOT going to give it out because I was NOT going to use their insurance.  Then boss came back AGAIN and said that they needed me to fill it out, just b/c I was employed there, and they had to have forms from everyone as proof of how many people they employed, regardless of whether or not the employee was going to use the insurance.  I was not happy.

I doubt it's exactly like that, since you're government, but it could be something similarly weird (although the personal nature of the questions does give me pause...)

I am given a similar form every year at insurance renewal time.  All I have to do is sign it and stated that I am insured elsewhere.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
It surprises me that he's allowed to ask for that information.  My husband can't even ask his employees for their home and/or cell phone numbers!  He can't ask them for ANY personal information, period.

Maybe someone in HR has it, but supervisors or leads can't ask for it.  They can't ask for ANY personal information, and I guess phone numbers, addresses, etc. are considered personal and off limits.  If they need to get in touch with an employee during non-work hours, all they can do is send an email, or, if they have a company assigned cell phone, call that.  But most employees don't have company assigned cell phones.  It's kind of crazy, IMO.

Just wanted to add that only one of my husband's subordinates has ever NOT given him her cell phone number.  Everyone else has gladly given it to him.  She is kind of a weird person in other aspects anyway, IMO.

MrTango

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
I would forward the email to HR, saying:

"[Boss] has requested the following information to be put in our personnel files.  Could you please check into [County]'s policies and let me know if it is acceptable for management to request this information from all employees?

Thanks,
[me]"

If the request is inappropriate, then you've made HR aware of it so they can deal with it.  If the request is acceptable under your county's policies, HR can verify that independant of your boss.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
What kind of relationship do you have with your Boss?  If you have a good relationship, I think I'd talk to Boss directly, first, to find out why he is asking for this very personal information (hobbies?  really?)  If you don't get a satisfactory answer, let him know you'll be contacting HR because you don't feel comfortable providing all of the requested information.

If you don't have a particularly good relationship with Boss, I'd go straight to HR as MrTango suggested.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GrammarNerd

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »

I am given a similar form every year at insurance renewal time.  All I have to do is sign it and stated that I am insured elsewhere.

Nope, they wanted me to fill out the more in-depth health form that everyone who was actually applying for the insurance filled out....family histories, 'have you ever been treated for any of the following?' questions...a whole bunch of stuff.  I thought it should be enough that I declined, but they said that the health plan needed all of it.  Regardless, it still sounded weird that they would essentially demand medical information of someone they were not insuring.

Miss March

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
I worked at a job where my employer wanted me to fill out a form that said what my salary was, and what my husband's salary was.  I filled out my salary- after all, the boss already knew what they were paying me. But I refused to fill in what my husband was being paid. Why on Earth should my employer need to know his income?
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Jules1980

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

Nope, they wanted me to fill out the more in-depth health form that everyone who was actually applying for the insurance filled out....family histories, 'have you ever been treated for any of the following?' questions...a whole bunch of stuff.  I thought it should be enough that I declined, but they said that the health plan needed all of it.  Regardless, it still sounded weird that they would essentially demand medical information of someone they were not insuring.

Oh, sorry.  Mine just basically says that yes I am their employee and no I don't want their insurance for their count.

Firecat

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »

Maybe someone in HR has it, but supervisors or leads can't ask for it.  They can't ask for ANY personal information, and I guess phone numbers, addresses, etc. are considered personal and off limits.  If they need to get in touch with an employee during non-work hours, all they can do is send an email, or, if they have a company assigned cell phone, call that.  But most employees don't have company assigned cell phones.  It's kind of crazy, IMO.

Just wanted to add that only one of my husband's subordinates has ever NOT given him her cell phone number.  Everyone else has gladly given it to him.  She is kind of a weird person in other aspects anyway, IMO.

I told my company that they're welcome to my home phone number, but have declined to give them my cell phone number. Partly because, when I'm not in the office, I don't want to be bothered with work-related questions...and I don't entirely trust that their definition of "emergency" is the same as mine.