Author Topic: Cooking For Others?  (Read 3466 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Cooking For Others?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
As my sister says, my mother is not a "taster". Everything my mother eats must be liberally doused with salt and pepper before she will try it. DFIL is a good cook, but very absent-minded and will wander away from whatever he is supposed to be minding, so we do the vast majority of the cooking for family meals. MIL is of the opinion that no vegetable is edible until it is boiled to mush and doused with margarine. MIL doesn't eat the following: chocolate, cilantro, blueberries, cranberries, cherries, avocado, spinach, raisins, blue cheese, and any dressing other than ranch. We usually leave some dishes without any of the above, and add to our own to taste.

When I am cooking for a crowd, I cook everything to a safe internal temperature and season moderately. I provide sea salt, a pepper grinder and hot sauce for those that like to have more of whatever seasoning. When cooking for more than 6 people, including our three, I make two different mains so I can please everyone. We have several friends that don't eat red meat, or bone-in chicken, or boneless chicken, so it becomes difficult to accommodate with one main. For example, I will make a taco/nacho/burrito bar with both grilled fajita chicken and skirt steak and all of the toppings. Vegetarians are happy with the cheese, beans and rice.

I don't think you should have done anything different with your MIL.

mj

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »
With the exception of MIL liking her bacon extra extra crispy (which would have burned the jalapenos and melted the cream cheese now that I think about it), I cook everything somewhere in the middle. I prefer not to salt a lot of foods if I can avoid it, but I don't get offended when people ask for the salt either. I cook chicken and pork well, but not burnt. I guess there's not really a way to ask MIL to not burn her chicken or pork or to not add salt to everything?

Just as an aside - Since we like bacon on the crisper side, I usually pre-cook the bacon some before I wrap it.  Especially for bacon wrapped shrimp :)

I think if you are close enough (and know your MIL well enough) that you could ask for your chicken/pork to be taken out before the others, assuming that it is not a whole chicken or pork roast where it would be impossible to remove your portion.  But if the relationship is not strong enough, then it's probably best not to do that.

EMuir

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
One of those probe thermometers with a wire running to the display, that gives an alarm when the safe cooking temp is reached, might help her enjoy meat that isn't so dry. I used to cook meat too much until I got one of those thermometers.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
Ooh, that can be sticky, trying to express your preference to your MIL. It really does depend on your relationship with her. The best way, of course, would be to phrase it in such a way that you make it sound like a dietary quirk of yours, rather than a judgment on her cooking. But, I'm not quite sure how one would word that.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
I think it was rather rude for her to refuse to eat the bacon after you'd cooked it. I'm not a very picky eater and I was taught to eat what was given to me if someone has prepared it. Fortunately, FH does like things I don't like so I can give it to him! :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
I cook things how I like to eat them.  I like my pork and chicken cooked through but I try not to overcook them.  I like my beef still pink in the centre but if it is a roast, there should be lots of outside bits that are more cooked for those who prefer it that way.  If it is steaks, it is easy enough to throw one on a little sooner for those who like well done.

So I will try to tailor a little bit to my guests.  But I won't serve something I feel is unsafe, like a rare burger.  If I had a friend who wanted their burger that way, I wouldn't ever serve burgers again if that friend was coming over.

Me, too.

I figure if I'm going to go to the work of cooking it, I'm going to cook it in a way that lets me eat it.

If I *can* accommodate my guests' tastes, I like to do so, and I do it enthusiastically.

And I don't think she was rude to remove the bacon.

Mikayla

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
My general rule of thumb is to make things I like, but compensate in areas where I know I'm extreme.  For example, last year I ended almost lifelong vegetarianism, and I crave rare burgers.  However, I know this can gross people out, so if we're grilling and people are over, I try to make mine more medium rare. 

I also have never met "too much garlic".  I make this mean garlic cheesy bread, and when non-family folks are around, I try to control it a little. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
Mikayla, I will happily make you a burger that moos.

I will be cooking for a pot luck I forgot about entirely!