Author Topic: Online spice store recommendation  (Read 1084 times)

bonyk

Online spice store recommendation
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
I hope I'm remembering correctly:  A few months ago, somebody posted about a store in Manhattan that sells really good spices.  I tried searching but didn't come up with it.  Does anyone remember the store/website?  Or have an alternate online spice source?  Thanks!

lowspark

Re: Online spice store recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
I don't know about the store in Manhattan but Penzey's is a good online source.
http://www.penzeys.com/
Even better if there is one locally wherever you live.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Penzey's spices.  I also like Simply Organic spices.

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »
I have ordered several times from http://www.myspicesage.com/ and like them very much.

snowdragon

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
http://www.spicesandmixesbymilly.com/cart/store.php

I love these people. I've dealt with them both in person and online and they are wonderful!!

bonyk

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
Thanks so much guys!   ;D 

Jaelle

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »
Just wanted to echo that Penzey's is wonderful!
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:37:26 PM »
One more for Penzey's!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bonyk

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
Arrg!  I just looked up Penzey locations, and I was right by one a week ago!  I'm looking for Christmas presents, so I have plenty of time to wander back over there.

Thanks again!   8)

Firecat

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
Penzey's is amazing. I'm totally in love with their double strength vanilla. And their hot chocolate mix is amazing and could make a great stocking stuffer; sometimes they have a gift set with it, too.

Lynnv

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:53 AM »
Another vote for Penzey's.  They were my first introduction to a spice shop and they really opened my eyes to how much difference good spices can make in cooking!

I have always had good luck shopping in person at The Spice House (www.thespicehouse.com).  I can't speak to the web experience, but they have always been great when I was in the area in person.  They aren't local to me-but I used to be in Chicago about twice a year and would make stops there when I was in town.

I have also had good luck in person at The Savory Spice (www.savoryspiceshop.com), which is local for me.  Again, I have never ordered from them online. But given how good they are in person I would be willing to take a chance on them if it was me.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 02:29:42 AM »
I love Pensey's and the Spice House products, though I have no experience with their websites.

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »
Arrg!  I just looked up Penzey locations, and I was right by one a week ago!  I'm looking for Christmas presents, so I have plenty of time to wander back over there.

Thanks again!   8)

Well, just to warn you, don't be in a hurry! They have apothacary jars full of each spice and herb for your sniffing pleasure. The first time I went there, I spent about an hour sniffing everything! Their prices are great and the employees are extremely friendly and helpful.

Be sure to sign up for their mailing list as they mail out coupons for free stuff several times a year.

JanaL

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 09:22:38 AM »
I hope I'm remembering correctly:  A few months ago, somebody posted about a store in Manhattan that sells really good spices.  I tried searching but didn't come up with it.  Does anyone remember the store/website?  Or have an alternate online spice source?  Thanks!

I think this may be what you're looking for: www.kalustyans.com

wheeitsme

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
Penzeys.

And if you get the chance to go into their brick and mortar store...they have a bottle you can open and smell for every spice.