Author Topic: Bringing kids  (Read 8136 times)

MOM21SON

Re: Bringing kids
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
Our derby league has 2 babysitters that I know of and their names and contact information are always available on the team website and facebook wall.  The coach often gives a shout out on FB, "Hey ladies, soandso is available tonight to babysit if you want to practice."

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »
Full-sized women get the hell beat out of 'em on the track. That is so very much NOT a place for children.
Words mean things.

MOM21SON

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
Full-sized women get the hell beat out of 'em on the track. That is so very much NOT a place for children.

Where is the like?

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
Stuck inside my bearings, which direly need cleaning, I suspect.
Words mean things.

ilrag

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
Depends on where you skate and how often. If you skate indoors they're probably fine.  :)

MOM21SON

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
Depends on where you skate and how often. If you skate indoors they're probably fine.  :)

Well, providing that apppropriate dress is worn, dirt talk is not used.  depends on the team I guess.  The team I am familar with certainly should not have children at their halfnaked potty mouth practices. 

MeeLee

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
I can relate to this. We had a woman who would bring her teenage son to "watch" her baby. What happened was that he would put on skates and wheel around with the baby in its stroller. Someone ended up telling her she couldn't do it anymore, and she quit. So everyones happy. Our practices don't mind kids as long as they are far away from where there is skating. It's worked out for the most part.

ilrag

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »

Well, providing that apppropriate dress is worn, dirt talk is not used.  depends on the team I guess.  The team I am familar with certainly should not have children at their halfnaked potty mouth practices.

Hahahah oh man, I was referring to cleaning bearings.

As for the 1/2 naked potty-mouth parts? Pretty standard for any adult team I've been a part of. Except in derby you're more covered up because rink rash hurts a bunch worse then wiping out on grass.

MOM21SON

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »

Hahahah oh man, I was referring to cleaning bearings.

As for the 1/2 naked potty-mouth parts? Pretty standard for any adult team I've been a part of. Except in derby you're more covered up because rink rash hurts a bunch worse then wiping out on grass.

ETA,  hahaha the bearings, you need to clean them lol.  Maybe thats my problem.

LOL, our girls have rink rash in places that should not be shown in public.  Trust me, I have a potty mouth and can't keep up with them.

Don't get me wrong, fun ladies, having a great time.  It is their time, they pay for the rink rental.  They should be able to enjoy themselves.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:59:05 PM by MOM21SON »

steelstress

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
She just needs to be told by an authority figure of the league/team/whatever that if the child interrupts ONE more time, then the child needs to be taken home, not only for the child's and skaters' safety, but to protect the league from any liability should an accident happen. 

Since this has become a pattern, the next time this happens, the child will not be allowed inside in the future.  Straight up and direct.

weeblewobble

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
I agree with EttiquettE. Don't ask her not to bring the kids, ask her to deal with her kids safely. That's what others are asked to do, right?

If she can't comply, then give her a choice: find a way to make it happen or drop from the league until she can make it happen. Leave the solution up to her.

Exactly.  The issue isn't bringing the kids, it's her inability to get the kids to stay put.  This is a ridiculously dangerous situation.  The coach/organizer needs to speak to her about it, ASAP.  All that person has to tell her is that the kids have to stay out of the skating area.  If they can't stay out of the skating area, they can't come to practice.  She has to make other arrangements for them.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »

Do you know what roller derby is?

Ciarrai

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »

Do you know what roller derby is?

I believe she's talking about cleaning the bearings on her skates, not about the topic at hand regarding children.

ilrag

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Yes, like I said on the first page I played, coached and helped run a league for years.

I also already clarified that that post was referring to cleaning bearings.  (It's time consuming and messy so if you don't have to do it, skip it. If you skate in doors generally you get much less dirt in your bearings.)  ;D

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Yes, like I said on the first page I played, coached and helped run a league for years.

I also already clarified that that post was referring to cleaning bearings.  (It's time consuming and messy so if you don't have to do it, skip it. If you skate in doors generally you get much less dirt in your bearings.)  ;D

I missed that.  I thought you meant if they were skating indoors, the kids would be fine.  LOL