Author Topic: "Places" map on facebook  (Read 3955 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
"Places" map on facebook
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »
Tell me if I'm being silly.

A good friend came to my daughter's birthday party in September.  She took a bunch of really nice (and semi-professional) pictures and posted them to facebook.

She tagged me in a bunch of them, which I did not mind.  They were gorgeous pictures and it was nice for my extended family in China to see them.

BUT...
She tagged a location in them which is not where we were.  There is apparently a local business in China that contains a part of my husband's family name.  She tagged us as being there.  In China.  Which we weren't and have never been.  And it is driving me absolutely crazy that this random location is showing up in my "places" map on my timeline.  I cannot remove the map.  All I can do is untag myself in the album.  I don't want to do that because I do like the fact that my own friends and family can see these very lovely photos.

Do you think it would be rude or out of line to ask her to untag the location?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: "Places" map on facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:05:14 AM »
My guess is that it autofilled when she tried to put in something like "Husband's Name Residence." I think you could bring it up to her in a lighthearted "Look at the weird stuff technology does!" sort of way.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
Actually, I thought the issue was that she basically mapped the actual location for your house for all and sundry and posted it on fb.

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
You are being silly.

Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »
It sounds like a weird auto fill thing. If it bugs you that much, bring it up to her.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
I wouldn't mention it. If you happen to be talking to this friend about Facebook, and could kind of bring it up naturally, then maybe you could mention it, but IMO, its too much of a non-problem to make any special effort. Your friend did a nice thing for you by taking and posting the pictures, so I think it would be a bit off to imply to her "You did something wrong! Fix it!"

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
I wouldn't mention it. If you happen to be talking to this friend about Facebook, and could kind of bring it up naturally, then maybe you could mention it, but IMO, its too much of a non-problem to make any special effort. Your friend did a nice thing for you by taking and posting the pictures, so I think it would be a bit off to imply to her "You did something wrong! Fix it!"

I agree. I just don't see it as an issue that needs to be fixed at all.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
Is your issue that your concerned family in China will see it and think "They were in China and didn't come see us?"  or is it just that it's bugging you?  If the first, then you can bring it up with friend saying your concerned about extended family being insulted.  If it's just bugging you then I'd leave it alone.

O'Dell

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »
Ask her if there is a reason that she located it in China. That way she's aware if it were a mistake and can fix it if she wants...or not.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
I'd say "Oh how weird, it tagged us as being in China! Too funny." just so people (especially those who ARE in China) would know the pics were not actually taken there. Other than that it wouldn't bother me, personally.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
Do you think it would be rude or out of line to ask her to untag the location?

Why would it be rude?
Words mean things.

ilrag

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
In my experience (30 seconds of looking at the page before I decided I didn't care) you can't untag location on pictures.

Knitterly

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »
In my experience (30 seconds of looking at the page before I decided I didn't care) you can't untag location on pictures.

You can if you're the owner of the pic.  You can't if it's not your album.  All you can do is untag yourself.

tangelloyellow

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »

You can if you're the owner of the pic.  You can't if it's not your album.  All you can do is untag yourself.

Why don't you just untag yourself then?

But in answer to what you actually asked, no I don't believe it is rude to ask her that.

(TBH, I just really, really want to know why China?)

Knitterly

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »

Why don't you just untag yourself then?

But in answer to what you actually asked, no I don't believe it is rude to ask her that.

(TBH, I just really, really want to know why China?)

I don't untag myself because they are nice pictures of LK's birthday celebration and being tagged means that family members can see these pictures.

i'll be seeing her in person in abotu 2 weeks.  Maybe I'll ask her in person.