Author Topic: Bringing a Baby to an Adult Party  (Read 9602 times)

Jones

Bringing a Baby to an Adult Party
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
@Kelsey and Kayte Grammer

In short, Kelsey Grammer and his wife Kayte brought their three month old daughter, Faith, to the Playboy mansion Halloween party.

As a breastfeeding parent who also does not have a nanny and has limited options on babysitters, I vote this was a very bad decision on the parents' parts. There are some places you do not bring your daughter, and the Playboy Mansion is one of them.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Bringing a Baby to an Adult Party
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »
It doesn't bother me unless, of course, kids were explicitly not invited and they baby-crashed. I probably wouldn't take a child old enough to be aware of anything inappropriate but a 3 month old is pretty much just going to eat, sleep and need diapers. I mean heck, most likely the only thing a breast feeding infant is going to be thinking at a Playboy party is "Buffet!"  :P

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
I think having an infant there would probably change the vibe for everyone else. Not a fan of anything Playboy but I think if you do attend you have an obligation to go with the flow.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
Klassy.

MyFamily

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
I think having an infant there would probably change the vibe for everyone else. Not a fan of anything Playboy but I think if you do attend you have an obligation to go with the flow.

I didn't click on the link given above, but the article I read mentioned that someone at the party did tweet something about this and it definitely was not a positive comment.  Most likely, the baby went into sensory overload and just fell asleep, but this was not an appropriate venue for a baby simply because that was not the crowd that was there.  No babysitter, no nanny = you stay home. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »
I thought it was odd that they couldn't find a babysitter but after reading this link, http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/15225565/nanny-kills-kids-in-new-york-apartment/

I don't blame them.  It sounds like though the baby slept through it all and if it wasn't explicitly allowed, I don't see an issue with it.  I have seen alot of shows that revolved around the Playboy Mansion and it's not that omigosh you brought a child there type of place.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »
...I have seen alot of shows that revolved around the Playboy Mansion and it's not that omigosh you brought a child there type of place.

While I agree this party might not have been baby or child appropriate, certainly there are children friendly events held at the Playboy mansion!  Lets not forget Hef has a bunch of kids, and grandkids!  Children were raised in the mansion.  And plenty of his girlfriends and bunnies have kids too.  Its not, IMO, always inappropriate to bring children to the Playboy Mansion by any stretch.

Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
OK, I'll be willing to concede that there are family friendly events at the Playboy Mansion.

This, however, does not sound like such an event. Other guests complained, for one thing, even though the baby slept through most of it. I also have misgivings about bringing children around drunk people, who may not act as wisely as they would sober.

I just mentioned the story to DH and he said "Are you kidding? All those girls and one baby, I'd be surprised if they didn't pass her around cooing."  ::) DH has an odd sense of the female psyche.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »
...I have seen alot of shows that revolved around the Playboy Mansion and it's not that omigosh you brought a child there type of place.

While I agree this party might not have been baby or child appropriate, certainly there are children friendly events held at the Playboy mansion!  Lets not forget Hef has a bunch of kids, and grandkids!  Children were raised in the mansion.  And plenty of his girlfriends and bunnies have kids too.  Its not, IMO, always inappropriate to bring children to the Playboy Mansion by any stretch.

It seems like if this was one of those events, their baby would not have been noteworthy enough for another guest to have tweeted in disapproval.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
^ That's very likely. 

But then again one never knows - Hef might have said "eh, she's 3 months and will probably sleep through it..." So long as the host is ok then if guests don't approve its on them.  The host gets to decide who can attend.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
I personally think they should have either left the baby home with someone they trusted or elected to not attend this particular party.  I think sometimes "stars" think that basic rules of etiquette don't apply to them, just to everyone else.  The baby's name was not on the invitation, she shouldn't have been there.

Having said that though, stop and think of the reasons most people don't want kids at a specific 'adult' event.  It's usually because the kid cries, throws tantrums, gets into things, breaks stuff, demands attention from other party goers, etc.  This baby was so young that she would be guilty of none of those things. 

If she fell asleep early in the game, it is possible/probable that a lot of the partiers weren't even aware of her presence.

O'Dell

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »
How did Hef address the invitation? I have to know before I decide. ;)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »
The trick to bringing a baby to an adults-only function is to realize it's an imposition and go with the intent of leaving early.  Then you can always be pleasantly surprised and stay later if the kiddo sleeps through everything, but you've laid the groundwork already for when the kid starts getting grumpy half an hour in.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
The trick to bringing a baby to an adults-only function is to realize it's an imposition and go with the intent of leaving early.  Then you can always be pleasantly surprised and stay later if the kiddo sleeps through everything, but you've laid the groundwork already for when the kid starts getting grumpy half an hour in.

Or not be an imposition by not bringing the baby at all (or stay home).  It's rude to the host and other guests to bring an unexpected baby and then leave early which also feels rude to me.

SiotehCat

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

Even if the baby is fine and sleeps the whole time, its still an adult-only function. Babies shouldnt be there at all.