A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Food

Cooking a different cut of beef from usual

(1/4) > >>

Foureyesonemouth:
I am whiting this out just in case anyone finds it disturbing. I going to try cooking beef heart next week. Any suggestions on how to do this? I've been told it can be pretty tough so I'd like to soften it up first.

SoCalVal:
Nothing disturbing about that at all (but this from the woman who's taken three butchering classes to date).

I don't know how to cook beef hearts, but I would check Cooks Illustrated and also google for how to cook beef hearts.

Foureyesonemouth:
Oh thank you for reminded me about the Cooks Illustrated. I have three stacks in my storage room that I need to go through. I'm am using Google as well. :)

Very cool on the butchering classes!

amandaelizabeth:
We eat heart often.  It is a bit like squid, you either need to cook it very fast or very slowly.  I cut it into strips and marinade it overnight with plenty of red wine and garlic.  Done in a slow cooker it great with rice and a crunch salad.  Plenty f bread for mopping up the gravy is good too.  Pig,s hearts are good in a stir fry style o meal too.

Giggity:

--- Quote from: Foureyesonemouth on October 31, 2012, 10:17:39 PM ---I am whiting this out just in case anyone finds it disturbing. I going to try cooking beef heart next week. Any suggestions on how to do this? I've been told it can be pretty tough so I'd like to soften it up first.
--- End quote ---

Why would beef hearts be more disturbing than liver or menudo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version