Author Topic: Good ear plugs for a light sleeper?  (Read 598 times)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Good ear plugs for a light sleeper?
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:27:47 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering, what would you all recommend I use as ear plugs for sleeping? I would like to be able to sleep in the same bed as DH, but his light snoring keeps me from falling asleep if I don't fall asleep before him, and he also likes the tv on, and I like the room totally silent (I don't mind if the tv is on timer, but by the time it shuts off, he's snoring away and I find it hard to fall asleep.

I tried the foam moldable ones, but they are about as useless as a witches tit, lol, and anything thicker, and I can feel the pressure in my ears if they are plugged, and it's uncomfortable for me. I am even considering ear protection worn by factory workers, but I don't know what they would cost. Any background noise won't work for me as I like to sleep in complete silence (other than natural noises like the heat or central air etc)

Any suggestions e-helliions?

BB-VA

Re: Good ear plugs for a light sleeper?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
If you don't mind the heat/AC, switch the fan position to 'ON' instead of 'Auto', if you haven't already.  In 'Auto', the fan only comes on when the heat or air kicks in.  In the 'ON' position, the fan is always on and therefore, you have that constant white noise.

If you still need the ear plugs, I use a silicone base foam type one that are conical in shape, rather than just a cylinder.  A lot of the regular ones have latex in them and I'm mildly allergic.  The silicone based ones work great for me.  You roll them between your fingers to compress them to their smallest size, insert them and they expand to the shape of your ear canal.  These ones, properly seated, block out everything for me.  Sometimes, it takes me a couple of tries to get them properly seated.

The other kind I've used many years ago were a moldable wax kind.  They were fantastic but they were kind of gross because they were a bit sticky and after a use or three, you couldn't tell if the the sticky was the original wax or ear wax.   :P
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JustEstelle

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
I don't remember the brand (threw the box away, sorry), but I got some good ear plugs at Wal-mart.  They have the word "contour" in the name of them, and they are lime green.  They are made of squishy "nerf-like" material and you roll them into a tight cylinder before placing them in the ear canal.  The plugs will then expand to fit your ear canal and they block out ALL sound.  I also have a sleep mask made of memory foam material.  When I have trouble going to sleep, I put on the mask and pop in the plugs and I am zonked out in no time.  Just look in the section of the health & beauty aid department at Wal-mart where they carry things for ears and eyes.