Poll

Do you kiss your parents/family members (not your children or partner) on the lips or cheek?

Everyone on their lips
6 (2.4%)
Everyone on their cheek
130 (51.6%)
Parents on lips, everyone else on cheek
19 (7.5%)
I don't kiss my parents or family members (other than my children or partner)
97 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Kissing parents/family members (not children or partner): lips or cheek?  (Read 7437 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Kissing parents/family members (not children or partner): lips or cheek?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
I chose "cheek" but it's not accurate - i don't actually kiss *on* the cheek, it's more like air kisses. and i do hug more than i kiss

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »
We did cheek kisses with the parents when we were little. That stopped after a certain point and now that we're all adults, we all just hug. If that. One of my sisters has expressed that she's not a hugger and we have an in-joke of each hugging the air in front of us instead of hugging each other.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
I kiss my parents on the lips, everyone else gets hugs. I have one uncle who does the cheek kiss. I grew up hugging, kissing and saying "Love you!" to my parents every time I left the house/went to bed until the day I moved out. DH barely even hugs his parents so he thought it was pretty strange when we started dating. They don't try to kiss him but they do hug, which he's fine with. We've been together since we were 15/16 and he always liked to spend a lot of time with my family so by now they're like his parents, too. lol

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
I only kiss my husband on the lips, everyone else gets the cheek. :)  Everyone gets hugs. I'm a huggy person. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

EMuir

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »
I chose "cheek" but it's not accurate - i don't actually kiss *on* the cheek, it's more like air kisses. and i do hug more than i kiss

I'd say that air kisses count as not actually "kissing" for the purpose of this poll.  It's a step below kissing on the lips or cheek as far as physical contact (since there is none), IMHO.

In the previous threads I noticed that most people still kissed their children on the mouth even if they didn't kiss other relatives, which is why I excluded them from the poll.

Faerydust

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
I chose the do not kiss family members (other than my son and SO) option. I do not kiss my parents at all. I hug them and sometimes my dad gives me a peck on the head during a hug.

I used to kiss my son on the lips when he was younger (under 5), now he's 10 and I'll kiss him on the cheek occasionally.

I would never kiss my dog's mouth, but she sometimes sneak attacks kisses on my lips or sticks her tongue in my mouth! Ew! :o

CakeBeret

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
I avoid kissing with family in general. My grandma always tries to kiss my lips and it skeeves me out. I kiss her cheek and occasionally kiss my mom's cheek. I don't kiss my siblings or nieces/nephews.

DH and I both kiss our 2yo DS on the lips, because he's just too irresistibly cute. :D
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
I kiss my husband on the lips, my kid sometimes (she really wants me to, keeps moving her slobbery little mouth in when I'm going for the cheek). I kiss her all over, all the time, though.

I kiss my ILs on the cheek, my nieces too, my nephew is 14 and would rather kill me than kiss me but I used to kiss him on the cheek, too.

My husband kisses his mom and dad on the lips. And me and the kid.

My parents are huggers, not kissers, now that we're adults. My mom has admitted that my very red, kind of raw cheeks as a baby and toddler were due to her kissing me so much, though.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
I couldn't really pick one answer. My family is very kissy-huggy-touchy-feely and basically anywhere on your head is fair game for kisses.

For me a family-kiss on the lips is a very different creature from a romantic-kiss for my DH. Heck, even a cheek kiss for my DH is different than the ones my family get! :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
I only kiss my husband on the lips, everyone else gets the cheek. :)  Everyone gets hugs. I'm a huggy person. :)

Same here - on all accounts :)

Kissing on the lips is solely a sexual/romantic thing for me. It creeps me out to see children kiss on the lips  :-\

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Bethczar

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
I have never kissed my children or grandchildren or my parents on the lips (or my dog!) That is a sexual thing. Period.

I never kiss anyone one on the cheek. Why? The head of a clean baby, maybe.

I don't hug, either, except when almost forced into it, like at weddings and funerals. We see our children just every few weeks, and rarely hug then. BUT! Usually phone calls end with, "I love you."

Lucas and I are very, very affectionate, if you wonder. We hug and kisss daily.

I hope you're speaking for yourself, not generalizing. Kissing is a cultural thing-----and the culture can be as small as one family. It's certainly not sexual in my family to kiss parent or sibs. I do kiss my sibs on the cheek, now that I think about it (it's so automatic I don't even really notice how I do it). Parents were on the lips until now when my Mom is in precarious health and half the time I'm worried about giving her a cold or something.

I kiss my parents on the lips and I assure you, I have no sexual feelings for them.  :-* I didn't realize that everyone else didn't do that until I was in my thirties.

It's just my parents and my husband on the lips, though. I hug everyone else. And being shy, I prefer they start it..

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
I have never kissed my children or grandchildren or my parents on the lips (or my dog!) That is a sexual thing. Period.

I never kiss anyone one on the cheek. Why? The head of a clean baby, maybe.

I don't hug, either, except when almost forced into it, like at weddings and funerals. We see our children just every few weeks, and rarely hug then. BUT! Usually phone calls end with, "I love you."

Lucas and I are very, very affectionate, if you wonder. We hug and kisss daily.

I hope you're speaking for yourself, not generalizing. Kissing is a cultural thing-----and the culture can be as small as one family. It's certainly not sexual in my family to kiss parent or sibs. I do kiss my sibs on the cheek, now that I think about it (it's so automatic I don't even really notice how I do it). Parents were on the lips until now when my Mom is in precarious health and half the time I'm worried about giving her a cold or something.

I kiss my parents on the lips and I assure you, I have no sexual feelings for them.  :-* I didn't realize that everyone else didn't do that until I was in my thirties.

It's just my parents and my husband on the lips, though. I hug everyone else. And being shy, I prefer they start it..

When I was younger I would kiss my parents and grandparents on the lips. As I got older I stopped doing it as much, but still occasionaly do it (habit, I guess). It was certainly not sexual.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Another person who has kissed people on the lips with absolutely no sexual context.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »

I hope you're speaking for yourself, not generalizing. Kissing is a cultural thing-----and the culture can be as small as one family. It's certainly not sexual in my family to kiss parent or sibs.

I guess, but it is sexual to me.

Kissing on the lips is solely a sexual/romantic thing for me. It creeps me out to see children kiss on the lips  :-\

I guess I am not alone in that.

pearls n purls

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
I'm a huggy person.  My DH is the only one I kiss on the lips, but I'll cheek kiss close family and friends if they're are significantly older or younger than me.  (My parents, FIL, grandmother, nieces and small children of close friends.)