Poll

Do you kiss your parents/family members (not your children or partner) on the lips or cheek?

Everyone on their lips
6 (2.4%)
Everyone on their cheek
130 (51.6%)
Parents on lips, everyone else on cheek
19 (7.5%)
I don't kiss my parents or family members (other than my children or partner)
97 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Kissing parents/family members (not children or partner): lips or cheek?  (Read 7140 times)

EMuir

I went through the archives and didn't see this question asked specifically.  I'm wondering, for those who kiss parents and other family members (not your own children and not your partner), do you kiss them on their lips or on their cheek?

My family didn't do kissing at all, but my partner's family kissed on the lips.  I've compromised and I'll kiss on the cheek, but really prefer just a hug. The whole kissing on the lips thing really threw me for a loop, so I'm just wondering how common it is.

MorgnsGrl

Re: Kissing parents/family members (not children or partner): lips or cheek?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
I only kiss on the cheek. I did kiss DS on the lips when he was little but now that he's almost a teenager we're mostly down to reluctant hugs anyway.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
I chose the second option, but it's not really accurate. I kiss most family and friends on the cheek, but there are a few I kiss on the lips. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
I selected the 'don't kiss anybody' option but it isn't strictly true.  I'll hug just about anybody.  I don't kiss anybody on the cheek, as a rule.  I do peck my Dad good-bye on the lips when we take leave of each other.  And I've kissed a few male friends on the lips at New Year's, female friends on the cheek.  My brother won't even let me hug him so no kisses there.  And I've never kissed my nephews.  They do give me hugs, though, even now when they are 18 and 20.  And they don't seem to be reticent about it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ilrag

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
I wouldn't kiss anyone on the lips, and kissing some one on the cheek would be difficult for me.

I actually would rather not hug most people either.  I do my best to be nice when it's parents in law/ siblings in law but after that? Please no.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
My family generally doesn't kiss.  I can count on one hand the number of times I can remember hugging or kissing my mom.  I can never remember hugging my dad, and while we do awkwardly kiss on the cheek occasionally now, that's 100% due to my stepmom's influence and she didn't come on the scene until I was well into adulthood (she's a cheek kisser).  My brother and I wave at one another.

And even with the cheek kissing with most people its really just pressing cheek to cheek and making the mawah! sound.

I do however kiss most of my friends on the cheek regularly.

I never kiss little kids or babies as I feel its an invasion of their personal space and much more apt to shake hands, high five or hug them.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
I have never kissed my children or grandchildren or my parents on the lips (or my dog!) That is a sexual thing. Period.

I never kiss anyone one on the cheek. Why? The head of a clean baby, maybe.

I don't hug, either, except when almost forced into it, like at weddings and funerals. We see our children just every few weeks, and rarely hug then. BUT! Usually phone calls end with, "I love you."

Lucas and I are very, very affectionate, if you wonder. We hug and kisss daily.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »
Big hugger and will kiss people on the cheek.

Calypso

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »
I have never kissed my children or grandchildren or my parents on the lips (or my dog!) That is a sexual thing. Period.

I never kiss anyone one on the cheek. Why? The head of a clean baby, maybe.

I don't hug, either, except when almost forced into it, like at weddings and funerals. We see our children just every few weeks, and rarely hug then. BUT! Usually phone calls end with, "I love you."

Lucas and I are very, very affectionate, if you wonder. We hug and kisss daily.

I hope you're speaking for yourself, not generalizing. Kissing is a cultural thing-----and the culture can be as small as one family. It's certainly not sexual in my family to kiss parent or sibs. I do kiss my sibs on the cheek, now that I think about it (it's so automatic I don't even really notice how I do it). Parents were on the lips until now when my Mom is in precarious health and half the time I'm worried about giving her a cold or something.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »
I voted "Everyone on their cheek" with the caveat being "Everyone I want to kiss."

We (in-laws, immediate family, friends) are a huggy group, but kissing isn't really the norm. Every now and then, on special occasions or when feeling particularly close for whatever reason, a kiss on the cheek happens during the hug . . . along with an "I love you."

DDs friends and I hug all the time. "Hello" "Goodbye" "Great to see you again!" But kissing? No.

For instance, when DD#1's (ex?)BF#1 was leaving for Rome, I gave him a huge hug and kissed him on the cheek in a motherly way. I wished him luck and told him that I loved him.

I would never, ever, ever, think! of kissing one of the DDs (boy)friends on the lips. How EWWWW! is that?

Kissing on the lips is saved for someone extra special to me. Maybe I'm romanticizing lip-kissing. ::)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »
My family don't kiss.  I'm not married, but my best friend comes from a culture where they kiss family and friends on the lips.  The first time I met them, most of them kissed me on the cheek, but one older aunt started to kiss me on the lips and I instinctively turned so she landed on my cheek (I didn't mean to, it was automatic.  Happily, she laughed and realised the cultural difference).  I'm uncomfortable with all the kissing, but I getting a bit better with cheek kissing from that large family.

Shopaholic

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Can you add another option? My answer would be air-kiss
I hug my sisters, my parents kiss me on the cheek  or forehead but the rest of the extended family is air- kissing.
My lips are reserved for my husband and the dog (j/k)!

Chickadee

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
I chose the hug only option. I generally don't kiss anyone except for my husband, kids, and grandchildren. Hubs (of course) and the youngest grandchildren get lip kisses. Well, except for the one who is teething right now. Drool just doesn't do anything for me  :P.

My dog gave me a drive-by lick on the mouth once when I was napping on the couch. I was not appreciative of that one!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
I chose on the cheek.  But really, it is more air kisses then actually touching of lips to cheek. 

Syrse

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
I don't kiss anyone on the lips except my DH. Everyone else is either a hug or a kiss on the cheek, depending on the situation. A kiss on the cheek is quite normal as a greeting over here. elder family still goes for the three kisses, but that's getting out-dated. Formal family meets is two kisses. Congratulations is still three (birthday, new year, etc). Friends, colleagues, younger family goes for one.

My mom however, always tries to kiss us on the lips, and it drives me crazy. My sister and brother too. It's always a battle of trying to turn your cheek at just the right time, because she tries and tries again and actually moves to try and catch you anyway. Ugh!

I'm actually trying to think of a way to get her to stop permanently. With little baby-syrse in the family now, I really don't want her to extend the habit to her as well.