General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Annoying Coworkers don't go away, they just get replaced!- the fat lady sings,p4

<< < (2/14) > >>

DavidH:
I'm not sure what else you think is needed.  The incident is over, the procedure was explained to him and it sounds like there was a large miscommunication in the first place.  From what you described, he seems to have thought it was cleared with you, when it apparently wasn't. 

"Today when I was working in Apparatus, I told Barney that I had a short break, but that I am still working in it. He didn't get it, just said nonchalantly that he didn't need it." I'm not sure what response you were looking for, or how his response indicated that he didn't get it.

JoyinVirginia:
I think it would be beneficial for you to talk to new student to reinforce the training with the personal view of WHY policies matter.  Student, we will be working together and I want you to understand WHY the policies are so important. You can RUIN someone else work if you just barge in and don't talk to them. You can HURT someone with hazardous materials. If we are going to work together, I need to know you understand this.
When hazardous materials are involved, EVERYONE has a responsibility to maintain a safe environment. Safety trumps etiquette.

Twik:

--- Quote from: Shopaholic on November 01, 2012, 02:41:01 PM --- For someone who understands the risks, go ahead and work as you want - but don't put everyone else in danger without their knowing it.
--- End quote ---

Not to get into legalities, but have you consulted your OSHA/other applicable regulation over this policy? In most North American jurisdictions, the employer is required to enforce safety regulations, not merely explain them and let people choose to follow them or not.

Hillia:

--- Quote from: DavidH on November 01, 2012, 04:57:56 PM ---I'm not sure what else you think is needed.  The incident is over, the procedure was explained to him and it sounds like there was a large miscommunication in the first place.  From what you described, he seems to have thought it was cleared with you, when it apparently wasn't. 

"Today when I was working in Apparatus, I told Barney that I had a short break, but that I am still working in it. He didn't get it, just said nonchalantly that he didn't need it." I'm not sure what response you were looking for, or how his response indicated that he didn't get it.

--- End quote ---

I think what the OP is looking for is some acknowledgement from Barney that he understands what the problem was and the danger he put her in, so she has some reassurance that he won't do it again.  It was maybe a little PA, but I can see her point - until i can trust you to follow lab procedure, I'm going to verify with you every time that you're not going to disregard that procedure and do your own thing.  If he just said something, anything, to indicate that he understood what happened, she would feel a lot more secure.  Right now it sounds like he doesn't think it's any big deal, and will merrily go along doing whatever he likes despite the 'talking to' - because what he wants to do is more important than any silly rules.

JoyinVirginia:
In a health care setting I have on occasion worked in same area as oblivious med student, sometimes their direct supervision on a busy service may be less than they really need. It is every member of the health care team s duty to assure safety for patients and workers. I have spoken up before, or actually stopped a student from doing something and directed student back to their supervising fellow/ resident for a hands on demonstration. Like students who think they can start ivs because they did it on a manakin arm, but don't understand about sterile technique in a real person.
OP will be doing a service for her entire work group to have a follow up chat with student.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version