Author Topic: A math problem.  (Read 8960 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: A math problem.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
Actually it is dividing be zero that is undefined. Multiplying anything by zero equals zero.

Oh you are right!  Got.confused.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
Here is how I solved it using order of operations

6 - (1X0) + (2/2)
6    -  0   +   1
6     -       1
        =5

Solving it from left to right
6- 1x0 +2/2=?
   5 x0  +2/2
      0   + 2/2
          2   /2
        =1

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »
PastryGoddess, you have an oops, I think.  In 6 - 0 + 1, you can't reduce that to 6 - 1, it would be 6 + 1.  The - is attached to the 0 (it's the same as saying 6 + -0 + 1.  So you would get 7 instead of 5.

Lynnv

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
PastryGoddess, you have an oops, I think.  In 6 - 0 + 1, you can't reduce that to 6 - 1, it would be 6 + 1.  The - is attached to the 0 (it's the same as saying 6 + -0 + 1.  So you would get 7 instead of 5.

I agree.  As does DH (who teaches science and has a math minor...one of the hazards of a physics degree). 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
We were both math majors. The answer is 7 as explained by many above.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »
I'm still taking math classes (yay for advanced calculus and statistics) and I say 7.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 12:29:10 AM »
The correct answer will not be posted until tomorrow night.  It is causing quite a stir on the FB radio stations page.  Anyone game?

6-1x0+2 divided by 2=?

I have no symbl on my keyboard for divide that I can see.

Is it

6 - 1 x 0 +2 2 =

or

6 - 1 x 0 + 2
--------------- =

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

MaggieB

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
Is it

6 - 1 x 0 +2 2 =

or

6 - 1 x 0 + 2
--------------- =
[/quote]

Thank you!  That is important.

Sanity Lost

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 12:45:33 AM »
I read this as:

=(6-1x0+2)/2

=(6-0+2)/2

=(6+2)/2

=8/2

= 4 (How did I do?)

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »
I (and DH) learned absolutely unquestionably without parenthesis ones does math in order left to right.  So as written the answer is 1.

If written 6 - (1X0) + (2/2) it would be 7.

You're telling me neither you nor your DH learned the order of operations? That's very odd.

squeakers

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »
I (and DH) learned absolutely unquestionably without parenthesis ones does math in order left to right.  So as written the answer is 1.

You're telling me neither you nor your DH learned the order of operations? That's very odd.

http://www.math.com/school/subject2/lessons/S2U1L2DP.html
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »

You just linked a page explaining order of operations. WillyNilly is saying that she and her DH learned to do the whole thing from left to right, instead of doing multiplication/division left to right first, then addition/subtraction left to right afterwards. Which means WillyNilly is saying that neither she nor her DH were taught the order of operations. Which I find odd.

marcel

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 01:53:25 AM »
The correct answer will not be posted until tomorrow night.  It is causing quite a stir on the FB radio stations page.  Anyone game?

6-1x0+2 divided by 2=?

I have no symbl on my keyboard for divide that I can see.

Is it

6 - 1 x 0 +2 2 =

or

6 - 1 x 0 + 2
--------------- =
Without parentheses the former.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

squeakers

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 01:55:38 AM »

You just linked a page explaining order of operations. WillyNilly is saying that she and her DH learned to do the whole thing from left to right, instead of doing multiplication/division left to right first, then addition/subtraction left to right afterwards. Which means WillyNilly is saying that neither she nor her DH were taught the order of operations. Which I find odd.

From that page: "In Example 1, without any parentheses, the problem is solved by working from left to right and performing all the addition and subtraction. When parentheses are used, you first perform the operations inside the parentheses, and you'll get a different answer!"
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »

From that page: "In Example 1, without any parentheses, the problem is solved by working from left to right and performing all the addition and subtraction. When parentheses are used, you first perform the operations inside the parentheses, and you'll get a different answer!"

You should probably read that page a little more carefully. Step 1 = parentheses. Step 2 = Exponents. Step 3 = Multiplication and division left to right. Step 4 = Addition and Subtraction left to right.

The first example only has addition and subtraction, so it goes from left to right. Example 2 on the page you linked shows that you do multiplication and division from left to right BEFORE you do addition and subtraction from left to right. Even if there are no parentheses.