Author Topic: Misunderstanding Holiday Traditions  (Read 6454 times)

Just Lori

• USA
Re: Misunderstanding Holiday Traditions
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
During last Halloween, our church was hosting four homeless families who were spending their nights at local churches while they tried to get their feet back under them.  I volunteered to take the kids trick-or-treating. When I showed up with my assortment of borrowed costumes, a couple of teen-agers asked if they could go.  I figured why not? It's hard enough to be a teen these days, much less one who's living in church basements because they don't have any place to call home.  Then one of the mothers announced that she was going to trick-or-treat.  I didn't want to have an awkward conversation, so I just went along with it.  I like to think that a small bucket of miniature candy bars was one of the highlights of an otherwise difficult year for her.

Mikayla

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »
2 bowls - good candy (hershey's  miniatures) for kids in costume

"meh" candy (twizzlers, Dots) for those not in costume.

I always hated getting Dots when I was a kid. For those who don't know, they are more like plastic than candy.

Since when are twizzers 'meh'? I'd much rather have them than the hershey's mini's!  :)

Ha!  Same here.  Twizzlers are elite.

OP, I think you handled this well. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
Knock on my door and say "trick or treat' and you'll end up with a treat.*  I don't care.  Costume, no costume, old, young, in between, doesn't matter to me.  We rarely get any trick or treaters anyway, but just the same I am happy to give treats to anyone.

Only on Halloween, of course.  :P
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
Knock on my door and say "trick or treat' and you'll end up with a treat.*  I don't care.  Costume, no costume, old, young, in between, doesn't matter to me.  We rarely get any trick or treaters anyway, but just the same I am happy to give treats to anyone.

Only on Halloween, of course.  :P

Darn it.  Scratch that plan...

beakiebean

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »

I always hated getting Dots when I was a kid. For those who don't know, they are more like plastic than candy.

Lol-but Barb-you've got the good and the meh candy bowls switched around!  ;)

bloo

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »

Lol-but Barb-you've got the good and the meh candy bowls switched around!  ;)

I'll back you up Barb! ;D

Hershey's are only 'meh', IMO, because I've trained my tongue to only accept, Lindt, Ghirardelli and Godiva among a few others.

But Hershey's are paradise in a wrapper compared to the plasticky taste of Twizzlers and Dots (and their ilk)!