Author Topic: need info/recommendations re shavers for men AND interesting question from DS  (Read 1045 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
So, DS is 26 and lives with me, he has little to no social life and has social issues, and not workign at the moment (doing some volunteer work for my organization). I say all the above because he sometimes needs "guy" information, and i (a not guy) am his only source... He asked if anyone knows of a site (or organization) for sons without fathers ? or like this "coffee shop" where one would be able to ask guy questions?

So on to his current dilemna - he needs to buy a new electric shaver. any reccommendations?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Well he's probably a bit old for Big Brothers...

But socially can I recommend a bar or music scene?  I know it sounds weird but for the last 15 years or so those have been my biggest sources of community.  Lots of people go the route of church or sports, but neither were a good fit for me. 

In a bar community, its ok to be a non-alcohol drinker (odd as that may sound) and because so many people are drinkers, a little bit of social awkwardness it easily overlooked.

In the underground punk-rock community (at least the one's I know) a lot of people are socially... weird.  Lots of people who I suspect are on some sort of spectrum or whatnot, lots of lovely people with socially deviant ideas or off the grid political ideas, etc. In fact I was recently interviewed by an NPR program Dispatches from the Underground and asked "why punk rock?" and my answer was " the punk community lets you let your freak flag fly, lots of social groups want conformity, in punk rock you can be who you are."

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Well, it's not specifically for sons without fathers, but http://www.askmen.com has a lot of forums and places to ask questions about just about anything.  Most of the answers are legitimate folks wanting to help - I've seen a few trolls/idiots there on occasion, but that wasn't the norm the few times I popped in there.  Men AND women can post to the site, but it is geared towards men.

In terms of an electric razor, if cost is not an issue I highly recommend the Braun 700 series.  It has this holder type situation that cleans and blow dries the razor after each use.  I know, I know, sounds very special snowflakey - but my husband has *very* sensitive skin and this razor gives him the best shave he has ever had and it doesn't irritate his skin. (and we've tried several along the way before we got to this one!)  If that one isn't feasible, I would still recommend that style of shaver vs the ones with the three rotating heads.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

cicero

• Super Hero!

But socially can I recommend a bar or music scene?  I know it sounds weird but for the last 15 years or so those have been my biggest sources of community.  Lots of people go the route of church or sports, but neither were a good fit for me. 

thanks, i'll pass on the info though i really think it's not his scene (though he sometimes surprises me)

Well, it's not specifically for sons without fathers, but http://www.askmen.com has a lot of forums and places to ask questions about just about anything.  Most of the answers are legitimate folks wanting to help - I've seen a few trolls/idiots there on occasion, but that wasn't the norm the few times I popped in there.  Men AND women can post to the site, but it is geared towards men.

In terms of an electric razor, if cost is not an issue I highly recommend the Braun 700 series.  It has this holder type situation that cleans and blow dries the razor after each use.  I know, I know, sounds very special snowflakey - but my husband has *very* sensitive skin and this razor gives him the best shave he has ever had and it doesn't irritate his skin. (and we've tried several along the way before we got to this one!)  If that one isn't feasible, I would still recommend that style of shaver vs the ones with the three rotating heads.
thank Joraemi - i took a quick look at the web site - looks just like what he needs. as for the braun - yikes! those things are expensive. they cost around 350-400$ here. (i'll probably be in the US in March, might be cheaper there)

joraemi

thanks, i'll pass on the info though i really think it's not his scene (though he sometimes surprises me)

thank Joraemi - i took a quick look at the web site - looks just like what he needs. as for the braun - yikes! those things are expensive. they cost around 350-400$ here. (i'll probably be in the US in March, might be cheaper there)

I live in the US - the Braun was about $250 at Target, I think.  Did you check Amazon? 

I hope the website is helpful to him.

Virg

• Super Hero!
I've got a Braun shaver and it does a very good job even on long stubble, and it's easy to clean, so what more could you ask?  It didn't cost anywhere near $300.00, though, it was around $60-70.  I got his one:

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/9422591/braun-series-3-smooth-adaptable-rechargeable-shaver-reviews/reviews.htm

but it lists this particular model as no longer available.  However, the brand is reasonably easy to find and it's good quality stuff from the ones I've seen and owned, so any Braun shaver in the price range would be a decent risk.

Virg

cicero

• Super Hero!

I live in the US - the Braun was about $250 at Target, I think.  Did you check Amazon?

I hope the website is helpful to him.
haven't checked amazon yet. I'll tell him about the web site tomorrow - he's sleeping already (it's 830 pm)

cicero

• Super Hero!
I've got a Braun shaver and it does a very good job even on long stubble, and it's easy to clean, so what more could you ask?  It didn't cost anywhere near $300.00, though, it was around $60-70.  I got his one:

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/9422591/braun-series-3-smooth-adaptable-rechargeable-shaver-reviews/reviews.htm

but it lists this particular model as no longer available.  However, the brand is reasonably easy to find and it's good quality stuff from the ones I've seen and owned, so any Braun shaver in the price range would be a decent risk.

Virg
thanks virg - i was looking at the braun 700 series that joraemi recommended . *everything* is more expensive here (heck, you can buy Israeli food products in the US for less than they cost here ::) but as i said, i will probably be in the US in march so i'll buy it for him there. his shaver is still working but dying...

Stirling

I recommend Panasonic shavers.  The ones that have 14,000 rpms.  I can't give you a current model number since I have had mine over ten years and its still going strong.  I have only replaced the blades abount once a year.  The 14,000 rpms is important to me since I find the faster the blades move the better the shave. 

I had a top of the line Braun before the Panasonic and thought it was horrible. The shave wasn't that close and the rechargable battery died after about a year and a half.  If I pay close to $300 for a shaver I would expect it to last more than a year and a half.

I also had a Norellco tripple headed shaver that I used for a number of years.  I still have it and it still works great.  I use it when I travel.  It doesn't shave as close as the Panasonic but it is still a good shaver.  I hope this helps.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Not a man, but I've found The Art of Manliness has interesting stuff. http://artofmanliness.com/ They've got articles from how to tie a tie to how to improve your relationships to how to survive an avalanche. Plus, they take questions and readers can respond.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

They recommend a safety razor, btw.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:03:25 PM by Winterlight »
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

cicero

• Super Hero!
I recommend Panasonic shavers.  The ones that have 14,000 rpms.  I can't give you a current model number since I have had mine over ten years and its still going strong.  I have only replaced the blades abount once a year.  The 14,000 rpms is important to me since I find the faster the blades move the better the shave. 

hmmn so i read the replies to DS and we both look at each other and say "blades replaced"?? so we didn't know you have to do that. we''ll look into that first.

Not a man, but I've found The Art of Manliness has interesting stuff. http://artofmanliness.com/ They've got articles from how to tie a tie to how to improve your relationships to how to survive an avalanche. Plus, they take questions and readers can respond.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

They recommend a safety razor, btw.

thanks - this is a cool web site too!

joraemi

I asked DH and he said he replaces his blades at least twice a year.

cicero

• Super Hero!
I asked DH and he said he replaces his blades at least twice a year.

oops! I didn't know that...

Meanwhile, checked prices of blades here - over 65$ for replacement blades! crazy. I'll see if my sister can buy for him in the US...