Author Topic: Dear United Illuminating Workers (a Storm Sandy Story)  (Read 1453 times)

Yarnspinner

Dear United Illuminating Workers (a Storm Sandy Story)
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »
Please believe it when I tell you that not all people in this city are savages and animals.  A good number of us actually have brains and realize that you guys work hard round the clock, some without sleep, to get our power reconnected.

THANK you for doing this and THANK you for not giving up on us.

I apologize for the various bozos who believed the (ultimately erroneous tale) that you were not working in our city because you had been paid to fix up the (so-called) wealthy suburbs.  Most of us know that infrastructure has to be repaired in sections and sometimes the sections are few and far between.  The Person of Authority spoke out of turn and would benefit from even a small course in electrical studies, infrastructure and engineering.

I am so sorry that your workers were pelted by raw and rotted eggs by people who, frankly, don't know how lucky they are to still have homes, family and no problems worse than not being able to watch the latest episode of "Honey Boo Boo" this week.  The rest of us appreciate how hard you are working to get us back in working order and we hope that you will not let this one group of miscreants inform your full opinion of our city.

Thank you.

Yarnspinner  (edited because there are just not that many syllables in "infrastructure"

gollymolly2

Re: Dear United Illuminating Workers (a Storm Sandy Story)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
They're probably too busy working to read ehell, but I'm sure an email or letter would be appreciated. Or maybe you could bring some water/snacks to people working near your home and say thanks.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »

I am so sorry that your workers were pelted by raw and rotted eggs..."

Seriously!? Wow.

Some people...*Shakes head*

pearls n purls

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
I heard about that.  Pelting utility workers with eggs is no way to get power back more quickly.

BB-VA

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Those folks earn every dime.  They are out in rotten weather, in hazardous conditions, doing a job that could kill them easily.  The linesmen were in my prayers the night of Sandy, and I hope they all stayed safe and well.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Minmom3

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Not only is it hazardous to do the job, but some folks have come in from as far as California, and I'm sure states in the middle sent people too.  Somebody comes THAT far to help out me and mine, and rotten eggs are the very last thing I'd be sending their way!  More like - "here's a gallon of hot cocoa, and some sandwiches and some cookies, and can I get you anything else?  Because I want you to KNOW how grateful I am that you're out here doing this job!" 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

trailgrrl

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:56:30 AM »
From as far as Washington State.   They were loading up C130s at JBLM with repair vehicles and personnel to send to NY and NJ to get the power back on.

oogyda

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 07:31:27 AM »
I read about that and just could not believe it.

I mean, how stupid is it to attack the people that are working so hard to HELP YOU?!?!  And it's not just "a little help".....they're doing something you can't do.

I KNOW how frustrating it is.  We were without power for 6 days and 6 hours after Irene hit last year.  It seems like the road (technically labeled a highway) in front of us was the.last.section to be repaired.  People around here were shaking the worker's hands when they stopped at the little local grocery store or deli.  Others were dropping off coolers full of water and drinks.  One neighbor parked his grill in his front yard and offered them all free lunch (ribs one day and bbq chicken the next). 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »

I am so sorry that your workers were pelted by raw and rotted eggs..."

Seriously!? Wow.

Some people...*Shakes head*

I wonder if they realize a lot of these workers are their from unimpacted areas.  I know a large group of linesmen left Houston a few days before the storm hit to do a 3 day drive and knew they'd be gone for 2-3 weeks.  They are working incredibly long hours and I'm sure are anxious to get back home. 

Living without power is terrible.  We did it for 2 weeks in 90 plus degree weather.  But this behavior is really terrible.  Sounds like a good reason for a crew to leave an area because of safety concerns to me.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »
I didn't hear about this until now.  What in the world is WRONG with people??

I was without power for about 12 hours at my place and I know that's only because I'm on the same section of grid with a pumping station of some sort, so we were tended to early!  There were folks around here that still didn't have power the next day after I did.  But GEEZ people - there are trees laying on the lines and open gas lines, etc to deal with.

I hope someone makes them some warm cookies and takes it to their truck with some coffee and cocoa.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
There are set priorities in restoring power. They were explaining it after Ike. Hospitals and first reponders (911 centers/police stations/fire houses) are high on the list. They also have to balance out things to avoid blowing transformers and such. After Alicia I was standing near a transformer that "blew up" and showered  sparks all over my cousin's yard. After Ike, I know that trees had to be taken down before the power companies could work on the lines. I had my lawn guy arrange to remove 7 damaged trees. I was worried they would fall on my house. My neighbors also did the same thing. We were told that sped up us getting power back, because the crews could get to the lines.  My sister is on a grid neighboring several hospitals. They got power before I did.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

workingmum

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »
It is just terrible the way some people treat emergency workers. Maybe they just don't understand that needs have to be prioritised and obviously hospitals etc come first? Seems there are an awful lot of people lacking empathy these days  :(
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
Some people. *shaking head*  That's despicable, especially when there are so many who lost their lives and their homes because of Sandy. I know there's a whole neighborhood,or at least a good sized section of Queens that got burned to the ground because of a fire that was caused somehow by Sandy.   It was just a picture without an explanation of how it happened, but it was just devastating to see, and I feel so bad for people who lived there.  Can't even imagine.  :'(

I would love it if Karma got even with these folks and they were the last to get their power back!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata