A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Sun of York

<< < (2/9) > >>

mechtilde:

--- Quote from: BarensMom on November 07, 2012, 01:40:35 PM ---Would the Queen be the one to make the decision on final disposition of the remains?  Although not a descendant, I imagine she is arguably the closest living relative.

--- End quote ---

Could be awkward- she's descended from the guy who won the battle where he was killed....

BarensMom:

--- Quote from: mechtilde on November 07, 2012, 02:02:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: BarensMom on November 07, 2012, 01:40:35 PM ---Would the Queen be the one to make the decision on final disposition of the remains?  Although not a descendant, I imagine she is arguably the closest living relative.

--- End quote ---

Could be awkward- she's descended from the guy who won the battle where he was killed....

--- End quote ---

That would be Margaret Tudor.  Her father was Henry VII and mother was Elizabeth of York, Richard III's niece.

squashedfrog:
Oddly enough my old house was actually three minutes walk from this site, I must have walked past it hundreds of times on my way to/from work.  When you cross the river, there is still a plaque on the bridge that reads something like, near to this site the Bones of Richard III and it goes on to say the story that the bones were dug up and thrown into the river. 

I used to always wonder when I was trudging across in the rain, still half asleep if the bones were there still at the bottom of the river, stuck in the mud somewhere along the bank waiting to be found.  And now there's the chance I parked my car on him.  :o

There's a nice statue of him on the park nearby put up by the Richard III society. 

My dad made me laugh actually, when the story came out that whoever had drunkenly decided to dig him up and lob his bones in the river got the wrong church.  As he said, "Yep sounds like Leicester!".

Not sure how long the DNA will take - I think we are used to seeing it happen immediately on crime shows, but I'm told its quite a lengthy process.  I'd also wondered if they will inter him in Westminster.  But then the authorities have often been a bit odd with this sort of thing.  As far as I'm aware, they still refuse to do DNA testing on the bones in the casket there thought to be the young princes in the tower.  I've often wondered why this is.   

Shopaholic:
I love this kind of historical mysteries... the speculation is most of the fun!

BarensMom:
About the princes, my best guess is that they've been exhumed and examined so many times that there probably isn't much left.  So it would be pointless to re-exhume them yet again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version