Author Topic: Sun of York  (Read 6642 times)

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
Sun of York
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
Am I the only one interested in this story?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/world/europe/discovery-of-skeleton-puts-richard-iii-in-battle-again.html?pagewanted=all

Have the remains now been confirmed and if the King, will there be a state funeral?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Margo

Re: Sun of York
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
They haven't yet been identified. I believe that if they are, they will be reinterred at the cathedral, but there are no plans for a state funeral.

Iris

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
Interesting. I imagine it would take a while to gather all the evidence necessary to say it was the king.

My vote (ha!) is to give him a watered down version of a state funeral so that all the history buffs can go. I'd go, if I lived over there.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Barney girl

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
I heard the tale end of a discussion on the radio the other day about where the remains should be buried if it is Richard III. Someone made the point that it should be in York. He was very popular in the north of England and ruled well as Governor of the North.

BarensMom

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
Would the Queen be the one to make the decision on final disposition of the remains?  Although not a descendant, I imagine she is arguably the closest living relative. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
Would the Queen be the one to make the decision on final disposition of the remains?  Although not a descendant, I imagine she is arguably the closest living relative.

Could be awkward- she's descended from the guy who won the battle where he was killed....

NE England

BarensMom

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »

Could be awkward- she's descended from the guy who won the battle where he was killed....

That would be Margaret Tudor.  Her father was Henry VII and mother was Elizabeth of York, Richard III's niece.

squashedfrog

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:33:09 AM »
Oddly enough my old house was actually three minutes walk from this site, I must have walked past it hundreds of times on my way to/from work.  When you cross the river, there is still a plaque on the bridge that reads something like, near to this site the Bones of Richard III and it goes on to say the story that the bones were dug up and thrown into the river. 

I used to always wonder when I was trudging across in the rain, still half asleep if the bones were there still at the bottom of the river, stuck in the mud somewhere along the bank waiting to be found.  And now there's the chance I parked my car on him.  :o

There's a nice statue of him on the park nearby put up by the Richard III society. 

My dad made me laugh actually, when the story came out that whoever had drunkenly decided to dig him up and lob his bones in the river got the wrong church.  As he said, "Yep sounds like Leicester!".

Not sure how long the DNA will take - I think we are used to seeing it happen immediately on crime shows, but I'm told its quite a lengthy process.  I'd also wondered if they will inter him in Westminster.  But then the authorities have often been a bit odd with this sort of thing.  As far as I'm aware, they still refuse to do DNA testing on the bones in the casket there thought to be the young princes in the tower.  I've often wondered why this is.   

Shopaholic

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
I love this kind of historical mysteries... the speculation is most of the fun!

BarensMom

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
About the princes, my best guess is that they've been exhumed and examined so many times that there probably isn't much left.  So it would be pointless to re-exhume them yet again.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
About the princes, my best guess is that they've been exhumed and examined so many times that there probably isn't much left.  So it would be pointless to re-exhume them yet again.

The book I just finished (Alison Weir's The Princes in the Tower) pretty much says just that. The people protecting the bones say that enough tests have been done on the bones that researchers can just look at that data and leave the skeletons alone.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »
>> . . . The book I just finished (Alison Weir's The Princes in the Tower) pretty much says just that. The people protecting the bones say that enough tests have been done on the bones that researchers can just look at that data and leave the skeletons alone. <<

"And curst be he who moves my bones."
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:01:58 AM »
My dad made me laugh actually, when the story came out that whoever had drunkenly decided to dig him up and lob his bones in the river got the wrong church.  As he said, "Yep sounds like Leicester!".

I live in Leicester, and this made me laugh. Yes, it does indeed. ;D

I'd also wondered if they will inter him in Westminster.

Buckingham Palace apparently aren't interested in moving him:

Philippa Langley, of the Richard III Society, who played a key role in the dig, said a private secretary to the Queen had confirmed the Palace was not interested in claiming the king and would rather see him buried in Leicester.

Ms Langley said: "We've been in touch with the Palace and they've said that they don't want Richard for Westminster Abbey or Windsor Castle.

"Not because they don't want him, but they believe because he died in Leicester and was buried in Leicester for 500 years, he should stay in Leicester.

"So, Westminster and Windsor Castle are definitely out."

She said there was strong evidence that Richard had wanted to be buried at York Minister.

She said: "I will say, though, that it is best archaeological practice to re-inter as close to the site of discovery as possible and the site is in the shadow of Leicester Cathedral.

"I would say there is a very high chance it will be Leicester Cathedral.

"The palace have said they believe it should be Leicester Cathedral."

- Leicester Mercury, 14/09/12

I think it makes a fair amount of sense for his remains to stay round here (if it is him*). He's closely associated with Leicester (in a candidate for a Most Dubiously Tactful Naming shortlist, we even have the 'King Richard III Infant School' just up the road from me), and reinterment in Leicester seems appropriate.

*Be rather disappointed if it isn't: I've become used to having the town full of happy archaeologists and historians lately!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:01:09 PM by Ferrets »

Iris

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »
we even have the 'King Richard III Infant School' just up the road from me

No WAY! You do NOT! Get out of town!

Best. Name. Ever. I want to move to your area and have another child just so I can send them there.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

scotcat60

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »
Meanwhile, Leicester City council are claiming 500 years of unpaid parking fees....

I believe the present Duke of Gloucester is a member of the Richard III society, so perhaps he could represent the Royal Family wherever the late King is buried , if it turns out to be him. 

What about Gloucester Cathedral?  Richard III started out as Duke of Gloucester.