Author Topic: Sun of York  (Read 5385 times)

Margo

Re: Sun of York
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Yes, it's 'sun' in the play

"Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York"

If you have tunnelbear or something similar you may be able to watch it - there's a documentary on Channel 4 here in the UK tonight, and I would expect it to be available to watch again via their website, at least for the next week or so.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Is there some pun I'm not aware of between "sun" and "son"? I've read the play but don't recall whether it was "sun" there.

Yes. Richard's brother, Edward IV, used a lot of sun symbolism. His heraldic device was called the Sun in Splendour. And I think the Shakespeare line really does say "suns" and it makes a pun between the brothers being "sons" of York and also "suns" who have turned it from winter to summer, metaphorically.

Margo

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Heh. I'm watching the documentary. One of the historians just said "I don't think anyone's ever found a king under a carpark before. There's no etiquette for it"
I thought it might appeal to ehellions  :)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »

Credit: Christopher M. Cevasco (via Facebook)

Credit: Unknown (via Facebook)

I'm quite glad we get to keep him in Leicester. He's been around here long enough, after all!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:35:10 PM by Ferrets »

Bethczar

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
I love the sign!

I really hope the documentary comes to the US soon.

scotcat60

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 04:19:29 AM »
One article I read said that his reign will now have to be reassessed.

Why? Why doe the presence of the body mean the entire reign is open for investigation?

The historians are using the opportunity and interest to re-examine what really happened during his reign and what was propaganda.  For example, examination of the body shows his physical deformity was not as bad as was claimed.

This has actually been done before. Many years ago, there was a semi documentary with the actors who played Chief Inspectors Barlow and Watt from the British TV series "Z Cars" and "Softly, Softly", who investigated Richard III as if they, Barlow and Watt were conducting a modern day murder investigation. Also Josephine Tey's book "The Daughter of Time" has her main character, a policeman, investigating the King from his hospital bed. Barlow and Watt found that the portraits of Richard were altered  to make him seem deformed and therefore, evil. A previous theory was that one arm might have been overdeveloped because of the use of weapons, and that might have made one of Richard's shoulders seem higher than the other.The reconstructed face of the skill shows something not dissimilar to the portraits, but not so worried looking. In Tudor times, the Countess of Desmond who had danced with Richard when he was Duke of Gloucester said he was the handsomest man in the room, savr for his brother Edward IV

As for the signs, I was ROFLMAO. They are the funniest things I've seen in ages. Todays london Daily Mail has a cartoon "City of Leicester. Short stay carpark up to 2 hours. Long stay carpark up to 600 years"

As for the burial, I believe that the present Duke of Gloucester, also a Richard, is a member of the Richard III society, so it would be nice if he attended, no matter where it takes place.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:23:53 AM by scotcat60 »

Erich L-ster

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
The skeleton does apparently show scoliosis, so he did have some physical disability. Makes his role as battlefield leader even more impressive.

The facial reconstruction was released today. Rather stunning.

And one of the best headlines I've seen on the investigation - "The Winter of Our Dig's Content".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
I read an article in the Toronto Star today about a Canadian connection.  A woman who emigrated from the UK to Canada was tracked down a number of years ago because it was believed that she was a descendent of one of Richard's sisters.  They got a DNA sample from her at that time.  Her three children also submitted DNA samples and their DNA played a part in determining his identity.  Unfortunately, she didn't live to see this; her husband and kids said she would have been tickled.

I think it's kind of cool that DNA from half way 'round the world helped out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
I was thinking, despite the Richardian's complaints about Shakespeare, I must admit that we'd probably not be as interested if some king who was NOT an iconic literary figure had been discovered.

Shakespeare may have written Richard as a monster, but a remarkably interesting one.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
Is there some pun I'm not aware of between "sun" and "son"? I've read the play but don't recall whether it was "sun" there.

Yes. Richard's brother, Edward IV, used a lot of sun symbolism. His heraldic device was called the Sun in Splendour. And I think the Shakespeare line really does say "suns" and it makes a pun between the brothers being "sons" of York and also "suns" who have turned it from winter to summer, metaphorically.

Basically, every line Shakespeare wrote has multiple meanings. One of which is usually a dirty joke.

NestHolder

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 07:05:09 AM »
There's a very interesting website which gives a good bit of information about all aspects of the discovery:  http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/    It's the University of Leicester's.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
There's a very interesting website which gives a good bit of information about all aspects of the discovery:  http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/    It's the University of Leicester's.

Thank you, NestHolder.  That's a very interesting and informative site. 

SouthernBelle