General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Question for those who do online, text roleplaying

(1/4) > >>

Adelaide:
I rp in chat rooms and message boards and have been doing so for a number of years. One problem I have is that a lot of times people don't use correct grammar, spelling, or punctuation when they're rp-ing. Unfortunately, this sometimes doesn't happen until two or three posts in. I don't like just ditching someone when they're invested in a thread already, but I can't think of a way to say "Your spelling and grammar are so bad that they're off-putting and I don't want to continue the thread" that sounds nice at all. Has anyone had experience with this? How do people usually respond if you say something? Is it worth it? I feel like it would be rude to just leave with no explanation, but so far I can't come up with a good one. I realize that sometimes, especially when you're not in a chat room, it's easier to "weed out" people you don't want to thread with early on, but sometimes this doesn't become a problem until further on into the thread.

ETA: My main issue isn't why this is happening or if I'm being unreasonable. The main problem is that I really want to say something but I don't know how to phrase it without making a donkey's behind of myself. I am going to say something, but I don't want to sound like a snob when I do.

tangelloyellow:
Maybe you can work into the role playing that your character drops dead and can't partake in the thread anymore?

Adelaide:

--- Quote from: tangelloyellow on November 02, 2012, 11:13:38 PM ---Maybe you can work into the role playing that your character drops dead and can't partake in the thread anymore?

--- End quote ---

Haha if only. I usually don't play out scenes where it would make sense for the character to die, and a lot of times I don't want to kill off my character for good.

tangelloyellow:

--- Quote from: Adelaide on November 02, 2012, 11:17:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: tangelloyellow on November 02, 2012, 11:13:38 PM ---Maybe you can work into the role playing that your character drops dead and can't partake in the thread anymore?

--- End quote ---

Haha if only. I usually don't play out scenes where it would make sense for the character to die, and a lot of times I don't want to kill off my character for good.

--- End quote ---

Teehee, sorry I just had to throw it in there because the thought of it amused me.  ;D

Sorry I don't have any good advice then :)

Penguin_ar:
So these people type perfectly and then suddenly, after several paragraphs, their spelling/ grammar gets atrociously bad? How odd.   It could be that they are using a dictation program, or maybe suddenly have a toddler in their lap or get jostled in the train. Is there a provision in the games you play for OOC (out of character) talk?  If so, I think it is ok to say something about their actions/ speech being difficult to read, making your responses slower. 

If it is more a case of you being very particular about grammar and them getting caught up in answering quickly/ the emotions of the scene and making some minor mistakes, I think you need to let it go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version