Author Topic: My first turkey day dinner!  (Read 717 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
My first turkey day dinner!
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
All by myself, cooking the whole thing, for someone other than just me.  And it was a success!  Of course, my kitchen looked like a tornado went through it, but it was delicious! i don't really like turkey, so i roasted a chicken, did mashed potatoes, cornbread and sausage stuffing (which I will tweak), roasted brussel sprouts, steamed green beans and carrots, gravy and rolls.  and my one friend brought her awesome homemade cranberry sauce, and another dessert.  Kitchen is now cleaned up, guests are gone, and I just polished off a mini canoli, and am about to take a shower, and watch some football.

my biggest worry, and challenge, was getting it all done, and on the table with nothing being cold,, etc and i succeeded.  Just wish my friends had taken some leftovers, I have TONS!

magicdomino

Re: My first turkey day dinner!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
Congratulations!  The tornado-struck kitchen is normal; getting all of the food out on time is an accomplishment, and mini-cannolis sound tasty.   :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
Congratulations!  The tornado-struck kitchen is normal; getting all of the food out on time is an accomplishment, and mini-cannolis sound tasty.   :)

thank you!  i did cheat; I made a list of what needed to be done when.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »
That is NOT cheating!

That's called 'planning and organization'.

(We have a friend who is in awe of us. He says we make it look so effortless to serve our parties and formal meals. Well, John, it's planning and organization, just like my friend siamesecat2965 just perfected!)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »

That's cheating?? I always thought that was "basic"......

I've always found that the poultry (whether turkey or chicken) was always the easiest part.  Get the bird in the oven at the appropriate time and it cooks itself (I know that the experts these days say that you're not supposed to baste, even, but I can never help it) for the most part.  The side dishes are the tricky parts.  I was never great at co-ordinating them to come out at the same time, so that's how I fell in love with make-ahead side dishes such as mashed-potato casseroles, broccolli-casseroles etc.

You've done great, and next time it will seem to be so much easier.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

that's not cheating - that's being smart.

I make the same lists, they are lifesavers

congrats! sounds like you had a great day (and tip for the leftovers: I make sure to have new/clean disposable containers and offer them to guests).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
We should have made a list; everything was ready to be served when I asked DH where the gravy was....It was still a wonderful dinner, if slightly cool, and the gravy was tasty as always. Congrats on your success, and your leftovers!