Author Topic: Red links  (Read 1413 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Red links
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
I've noticed that sometimes a link appears in the text of someones posting. It is red and underlined twice (like the link in the upper right of the forum's background) and leads to some in line site. I don't think the poster has anything to do with it, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern or regularity.

It just drives me bananas by interupting my thought flow - like a bump in the road. I don't mind the banner ads that have always appeared away from our text, and do click on those sometimes.

I've also noticed that sometimes in the early morning the site crashes, just like it did a while ago before the forum went to another system. That, oddly, I understand, and it's OK because I am free and can pretty much time my visits to avoid clogging up the system.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
Re: Red links
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
Luci45, the red links sound like they're either from a really annoying toolbar or from malware. Have you installed anything lately? It might be best to grab something like malwarebytes and run an in-depth scan.

I get the morning crashes as well, EHellDame has said it is a server-wide issue in another thread: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=121555.msg2813973#msg2813973
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »
Thanks.

I just installed some new search and find games from a company I'm not familiar with. McAfee hasn't said anything.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
I'm scanning with McAfee right now, and I posted that I'm still getting bumped or blocked in the AM, just as with the old server, but not as long. I did miss that Oct.13 post by Dame somehow.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:39 AM »
I am getting these links in blue, also, on my iPad, my laptop, and the desktop.

They are for "easyinline" or "easyonline".

I've only hovered over them to see what they are, never click on them, so I don't have anything in the address bar.

Should I go ahead and click on one and send it to eHell? The first part of the address will probably be the host spam and the second the advertiser (hopeful assumption there).

squeakers

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »
I had that happen the other day and it was a toolbar add-on that I had added recently doing it (from a trusted site.. it was in addition to the tool I was/am using). I wish I could remember which tool or toolbar it was.. but a new pc= re-adding so many things that I must have  ;D

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/230152-hyperlinks_to_adverts_appearing_in_web_pages_and_forums.html might give you some tips on how to find and delete the annoyance.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin