Author Topic: Quilt Show Etiquette (inspired by Haunted House Etiquette)  (Read 2082 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Quilt Show Etiquette (inspired by Haunted House Etiquette)
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »
#1 - Don't touch the quilts on exhibit.  If you want to see the back - ask one of the employees wearing name tags and white cotton gloves.

#2 - Don't take photos of the quilts on exhibit where there are signs with a camera inside a circle with a slash - they mean "don't take pictures" of the whole exhibit that they are on - not just that one quilt that the sign is next to.

#3 - If someone reminds you not to touch the quilt while you are fluffing up the appliqued flower petals while getting ready to take a photo - and there is a sign next to it with that camera in a circle with a slash - don't argue with them that "your hands are clean" and "it's just ONE photo" - it's not your quilt, it's copyrighted, and you are wearing the white cotton gloves mandated by the person who set everything up for everyone touching the quilts - even her, and even the quilts that she owns (because some of them are over 150 years old).  If the quilt owner & event organizer wears gloves - everybody wears gloves. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:53:27 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

Re: Quilt Show Etiquette (inspired by Haunted House Etiquette)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
#4. Do not say to the quilt show staff, 'I want to buy a quilt. But a cheap one, you know?' Unless specifically advertised as having quilts for sale, most shows are display only. And none of the quilts are cheap. Making an offer of 50% of the cost of the materials used in its construction is by no means a compliment to the maker. Whistling in astonishment when she tells you this is not a compliment, either.

Minmom3

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
"Why?!  I can buy bigger ones for less money than that, you know!"
"Target/Macy's/Bed, Bath & Beyond sells them too!"

I am finishing up a quilt for a good friend's 3rd grandchild.  She offered to pay for the fabric, (I refused), and then once I had started assembling the face of it, asked how much I'd spent.  I told her I quit pricing it at $150, and "Don't worry about it!".  This is made of nice flannel (all on sale) and will have a washable fur backing (also on sale).  Good quilts ain't cheap long before the man hours are tallied in!

This started out as a crib quilt, but the girl is nearly 4 years old, and the face covers the top of my double bed....  I had to go get more batting, because the face outgrew the batting I bought a year ago!   ::)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
- If you are (legally) taking pictures, be quick about it. Don't stand there focusing/composing/checking your settings while a crowd stacks up behind you.

- Do not photograph in the market (sales) area. The quilts shown there are pattern samples and copyrighted.

- Be mindful of how much extra personal space your tote, purse, rolling case, shopping bags, etc. take up. Make sure you aren't inadvertently using them as a battering ram or leaving a swath of destruction in your wake due to banging into people and things. One vendor at the Houston show was passing out these ENORMOUS totes that made me flinch every time I saw one.

- If you want to chat, compare notes, look at the map in the guide book, or stop for any reason - especially if there is more than one of you - get out of the display area!! Move to one of the spots designated to sit down/gather or at least off to one side and be mindful of what is happening around you.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
We have got to coordinate a recognition sign for E-Hellions to wear when we are all going to be going to the same show (quilt show or whatever)!

Was it that huge light purple tote bag that you're mentioning?

Rolling totes have to have a MEDICAL letter due to the number of injuries in the past (I worked the last two odd numbered years - due to a grandbaby being a month premature - I missed 2010 and I missed this year due to a schedule conflict - but I still spent some money when I went Friday & today - must keep the quilt show profitable so it happens again NEXT year!).

What got me today was the number of people who would stop stock still then zag off in a random direction with no indication that they were going to be going at a 45 to 90 degree angle to their former path....or they'd swerve into a U turn to get back to something that they'd passed and just barely manage to hit someone behind them (not always me) - I realize that they can't see behind them, but the place is crowded - if you stop and turn around - check before setting off at a fast walking pace because there is likely at least one and more likely three people behind you....whether one group or more varied...

There were a couple of people in rolling scooters with their heads a great deal below standing height (and kids or short people of all ages) who were almost trampled by someone who was looking around only at their own eye level......or possibly their bifocals were out of kilter (to be kind, if they were wearing glasses)...but people can get hurt when they collide.....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:13:26 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Minmom3

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »
- If you are (legally) taking pictures, be quick about it. Don't stand there focusing/composing/checking your settings while a crowd stacks up behind you.

- Do not photograph in the market (sales) area. The quilts shown there are pattern samples and copyrighted.

- Be mindful of how much extra personal space your tote, purse, rolling case, shopping bags, etc. take up. Make sure you aren't inadvertently using them as a battering ram or leaving a swath of destruction in your wake due to banging into people and things. One vendor at the Houston show was passing out these ENORMOUS totes that made me flinch every time I saw one.

- If you want to chat, compare notes, look at the map in the guide book, or stop for any reason - especially if there is more than one of you - get out of the display area!! Move to one of the spots designated to sit down/gather or at least off to one side and be mindful of what is happening around you.

I have done that - when I wanted to buy it but didn't have the money then and there, but wanted to mark it so I could get THAT ITEM, not the 'nearly that item I misremembered' thing I bought instead.  This has saved me money a time or two!  I don't ever do it with the intention of making it up on my own without paying 'them' the money, I ONLY do it so I can purchase it later on.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....