Author Topic: Homemade Cheese?  (Read 2106 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Homemade Cheese?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
I've been making cheese for a couple of years. it's a great hobby! Yogurts and soft cheeses are all pretty easy; hard cheeses can be quite complicated (although I did make an awesome cheddar once!). As a rule I make my own yogurt, cottage cheese and mozzarella. Oh, and I've made feta also.

I have made cheese with goat milk, but I personally prefer cow milk. The texture is different and cow milk imo is easier to work with, although I like the taste of goat cheese just fine. While you can use pasteurized (but not ultrapasteurized) milk to make some of the soft cheeses, I personally think it's better if you can get your hands on fresh milk straight from the cow.

You shouldn't need rennet for soft cheeses. Vinegar or lemon juice work well for those and sometimes you don't even need those depending on what you are making. Also, as you say that you aren't in an area with easy access to higher quality milk, you may not be aware that you can make some excellent soft cheeses using dried milk. I know it sounds crazy, but powdered cow or goat milk is easy to obtain and really does work! I doubt I would try it for a more complex hard cheese, but for a labneh or other soft cheese/yogurt it should work very well.

Please feel free to PM me if you want more detailed info. I have many books on the subject of cheesemaking and while I am definitely no expert, I am fairly knowledgeable on he topic.

My latest thing is making kombucha at home. At $3.50 a bottle at Earth Fare it is way too expensive to buy. Making my own is easy and much, much cheaper. Now if I could just get my DH on board with me keeping bees in the back yard; but I don't think I will win that one. He's pretty tolerant of my constant experimenting, but he's adamant about this... ;D

What about one of these for his Christmas present list...

http://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-sexy-concept-bee-keeping-gadget/

WOW! That is so cool! WANT!

That is awesome...I'm bummed it's not available yet, but I'm going to keep an eye on that. It seems so simple! I might even be able to sell DH on something like that!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Homemade Cheese?
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »
What about one of these for his Christmas present list...

http://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-sexy-concept-bee-keeping-gadget/

WOW! That is so cool! WANT!

That is awesome...I'm bummed it's not available yet, but I'm going to keep an eye on that. It seems so simple! I might even be able to sell DH on something like that!

I read the comments on the item. It looks great but everybody there who claims any knowledge of bees says that it's a terrible design. It may not even be legal.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain