Author Topic: The neighbor (long)  (Read 8150 times)

elephantschild

Re: The neighbor (long)
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Although I'm sorry for what you've all been through as well, it's a little ... well, reassuring ... that plenty of decent, hard-working eHellions have also had neighbor issues.  :D   I think when DH first told me what Neighbor said, I felt like I had to second-guess my own life. :P 

But it's his problem. Not ours.

Thanks again. Lexophile, I don't think he'll get that bad ... but I'll keep it in mind.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Marguette

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
I should also note that a family member of his owns a landscaping business. And regularly parks his (very large) truck (that partially blocks our driveway) in front of his house. (And a fire hydrant.) When DH pointed out that we could call the cops on that, he was told, "That's different!"  ::)   I want to, but on the other hand, I really don't want to getting into a ... match.

Iím concerned about this. The reason itís illegal to park by a fire hydrant is that it impedes the firefightersí access in an emergency when every second counts. In the unlikely event of a fire on your street, there could be increased damage or even tragedy because the firefighters didnít have direct access to the hydrant because the landscaping truck was in the way.

You mention that you donít want to increase the conflict by reporting the bad parking, but if you reported it, why would you be involved? If the parking authorities came to check it out, they could see for themselves that the truck was there, they wouldnít have to ask you.

elephantschild

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
Apparently this has been going on a long time and no one's said "boo" ... he'd almost certainly know it was us. And you have to give your name and address even when making a non-emergency call. And this would certainly be viewed as escalation.

Just letting it continue doesn't sit well with me, either. I think that when DH asks for an officer to visit, he's going to try to time it for the morning ... when the truck is usually there. We didn't make a complaint, though.  >:D

I'm looking into the rules as far as hydrants go, just to be sure there's not an exception or something. Can't imagine that there is.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
Apparently this has been going on a long time and no one's said "boo" ... he'd almost certainly know it was us. And you have to give your name and address even when making a non-emergency call. And this would certainly be viewed as escalation.

Just letting it continue doesn't sit well with me, either. I think that when DH asks for an officer to visit, he's going to try to time it for the morning ... when the truck is usually there. We didn't make a complaint, though.  >:D

I'm looking into the rules as far as hydrants go, just to be sure there's not an exception or something. Can't imagine that there is.

You can always mention it to the fire department, not the police. I know they often drive around in spring to check each hydrant. They might consider checking that one sooner if they knew what was up.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont