Author Topic: People leaving things in your car  (Read 4079 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: People leaving things in your car
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »
If she persists, tell her, "I am sorry I won't be able to get it to you for a few more days.  If you paypal me shipping costs, I can put it in an envelope for you and drop it off at a mailbox though."  And leave the ball in her court. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
I would interpret her comment to be... "If you don't plan to be in the area for 2 weeks, then I'll make other arrangements to retrieve it or go buy another hat."  And I'd interpret it that way even if she didn't mean it that way.  So as other's have stated, my response would be "I'm not sure, but probably not till sometime next week." or whenever you think you'll be in her area.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
I would interpret her comment to be... "If you don't plan to be in the area for 2 weeks, then I'll make other arrangements to retrieve it or go buy another hat."  And I'd interpret it that way even if she didn't mean it that way.  So as other's have stated, my response would be "I'm not sure, but probably not till sometime next week." or whenever you think you'll be in her area.

I think this is the way to handle it. Pretend she meant it as a planning tool for herself. If you're going to be by shortly, then she doesn't have to deal with it. If you aren't then she needs to make plans to get there. If it becomes a habit, or she responds by complaining further about how long she'll be without the hat, then back off from the friendship, but this is a place I'd try to have the best possible thoughts in my head first.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
Maybe this is plot to get you to driver her somewhere else...you drop off the hat and since you are going that way, can I have a ride?
You know, like the old "leave your hat at the guy you are interested in so you have an excuse to go visit"?

I would just say "You are welcome to pick it up any time you like, but if you want me to drop it off you have to wait until I am heading out that way."

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 06:11:40 AM »

That's a thought; perhaps it wasn't really meant as "bring it to me ASAP." She has been known to be a bit of a princess in the past, so maybe I jumped to conclusions. I do like her a lot though; she is funny and intelligent so either way I'm not going to get worked up over it. I told her Tuesday was the earliest and she was fine with that.

strawbabies

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »
I had somebody leave a hand brace in my car.  This was an out of town visitor, so he was several hours away when he called about it.  He asked me to mail it priority because he needed it.  I did and never received an offer or payment for the mail or even a thank you for my trouble.
That's where COD comes in handy.  You have to pay up front, but he needs to pay to get the package.  Or insist that he sign up for Fed Ex or UPS and provide you with his account number so it would be billed to him directly.

AngelBarchild

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
Why don't you just answer her question.  If you'll be in that area nest Tuesday then tell her that, if you don't know then tell her that.

I don't understand why people on this board ascribe weird ulterior motives to everything. The woman just forgot her hat, and would like to know if the op can bring it by. If that's to far out of the way for the op then she should just say so. Some things are just not that deep.

sourwolf

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
Why don't you just answer her question.  If you'll be in that area nest Tuesday then tell her that, if you don't know then tell her that.

I don't understand why people on this board ascribe weird ulterior motives to everything. The woman just forgot her hat, and would like to know if the op can bring it by. If that's to far out of the way for the op then she should just say so. Some things are just not that deep.

Post #19

I told her Tuesday was the earliest and she was fine with that.

AngelBarchild

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »

Post #19

I told her Tuesday was the earliest and she was fine with that.

Well that's what I get for skimming.  :-[  Glad it all worked out.