Author Topic: E-readers for Canada  (Read 641 times)

Only me

E-readers for Canada
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
HI All,

I have been considering getting an e-reader for a couple of years and think I'mlib down to the Kindle or the Kobo. But I still could use some input.

In Canada the public library system doesn't seem to allow downloads to the kindle format, but I can use a kobo for that. My questions are which is easier to get free books on and do any support textbooks for University or college, that you know of. I am going back to school, possibly as early as January, and would like to know, as I hear that is a less expensive option for books.

Me me me

suzieQ

Re: E-readers for Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I have a Nook, so don't know first hand about either one, but I get http://www.pixelofink.com/ and get 5 to 6 free Kindle books daily from it.
You can download http://calibre-ebook.com/ and it will convert most any ebook format into most any other format.

In your situation, I would probably get a kobo so I could get the downloads from the library. You could get the free Kindle books mentioned above and convert them to Kobo format using Calibre.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:20:17 PM »

Keep in mind that converting between formats is complicated by the DRM (digital rights management). You can't convert a protected book from one format to another without breaking the DRM first. You might want to check the legality of doing that in your area.

From experience with the Kindle - if you want to use it for text-books, I'd go for the one with the keyboard on it. It's bigger, but searching for stuff on the keyboard free one is very, very slow and cumbersome. I would find text only textbooks to be fine on the ebook reader screen, but for textbooks with diagrams or figures or tables (like physics), I'd want to use a computer or larger format tablet like the Kindle instead.

As far as selection goes, I'd go on to the catalogues you would use, and search for the kinds of books you'd buy, comparing availability and prices.  I think that the Kindle charges an extra international fee in some countries (like mine), so an ebook version of a paperback novel costs about 20% more on the kindle than it does in hardcopy format (or if buying in the US). [I'm not 100% sure because I can't check the US store, but on my store, a long released novel is $9.59 US in Kindle, and usually $7.99 in paperback].

I ended up buying a Kindle for the sole reason that they would sell stuff to me, which the other ebook readers wouldn't ,and it means I can easily buy English books.

onikenbai

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »
I have the Kobo app on my iphone and I can get lots of free books, mostly the classics.  You may want to consider the new mini ipad and throw the kobo app on it.  Then you would have an ereader plus a mini computer.  Best of both worlds.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
It may depend on your field, but I have found that textbooks tend not to be ereader friendly. Even the electronic books (fairly common) are not available on kindle or Kobe.

If you can afford it, I would suggest the ipad. It will work for the proprietory textbook readers, has a longish battery life (8 hours) and you can download the kindle ereader for it (not sure about Kobe)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »

For free books -

Project Gutenberg has free books in all the common formats. This is mainly older stuff (they basically only do out of copyright stuff) but includes classic literature, poetry, the Bible, Shakespeare, classic kids' stuff, etc.