General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Stop chewing your gum so loud!

(1/6) > >>

Mental Magpie:
My basic training academy is set up like a classroom at tables.  We are encouraged to sit next to a new person everyday, and most of us stick to that.  Today, someone to whom I have never set next sat down beside me.  Everything was fine all morning, but then we came back from lunch.  She sat there chewing her gum with her mouth open, making that awful smacking sound.  Not only did it make me antsy (yes, it bothers me that much), but it was severely distracting otherwise.  I wanted to ask her to stop, but I felt like she might take it as a personal attack.  What, if anything, can I say in the future if this happens even if it isn't necessarily her?

misha412:
I would wait for a quiet moment and then say something like, "I hate to ask this, but, here goes. The sound of gum chewing makes me antsy. Can you stop chewing gum?"

By making it about you, you are not making a personal attack against her.

cicero:

--- Quote from: misha412 on November 05, 2012, 08:26:09 PM ---I would wait for a quiet moment and then say something like, "I hate to ask this, but, here goes. The sound of gum chewing makes me antsy. Can you stop chewing gum?"

By making it about you, you are not making a personal attack against her.

--- End quote ---
this.

and be thankful that this isn't your permanent roommate, like mine, who pops her gum (I did ask her to stop. she "forgets" that it's annoying...), chomps on crunchy vegetables all.day.long, yawns really really really loudly with theatrical effects all.day.long, and talks to her computer. well, i talk to my computer too, so can't complain too much about that. ;D but the other stuff is *really* annoying...

gum popping - besides being annoying - is IMHO very unprofessional.

Giggity:
Gum-chewing at all is unprofessional, I think. I can't stand the stuff.

That said, if you can chew it so I don't notice you're chewing it, you're doing it right.

And a whole lot of people think they can chew it unobtrusively and they are incorrect.

WillyNilly:
There is nothing wrong with gum chewing and asking someone to stop is obnoxious, SS and way beyond the scope of even remotely OK. Gum chewing is certainly a much healthier a habit then not gum chewing and she might have a justified need to do so.

There is something wrong with chewing with one's mouth open, which is aside from visually gross, quite loud. Its perfectly reasonable to mention her chewing is quite loud and would she please be mindful of that and take steps to be more quiet such as closing her mouth and not chomping. The OP doesn't mention popping or snapping but it would be reasonable to ask someone to stop snapping their gum as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version