Author Topic: Standing Room Only - Who Gets the Seats  (Read 6386 times)

audrey1962

Re: Standing Room Only - Who Gets the Seats
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
You weren't rude, but since you seem concerned by the other riders reactions, perhaps next time say "excuse me" instead.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
Anyone talking to me during my morning commute who is not going to hand me coffee is totally rude. ;)

I agree with PPs, just saying "excuse me" is sufficient!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

AuntyEm

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
As a previous poster replied, when the bus or subway is packed, I think it is ruder to continue standing next to an open seat if you are blocking the aisle.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
I thought I would update.  Based on the responses here, I have simply said "excuse me" and moved toward open seats and sat down.  Still, some people seem, I don't know, astonished that I would have the nerve to do that, even though others then followed suit, including the standing people who seem astonished that I say "excuse me" and move past them to a seat they previously made no move toward.  I think it really just comes down to personality.  I am not going to stand if I can sit on the bus, and I think some people need someone else to show them it's okay to sit in open seats.  Baffling to me! :)