Author Topic: Animals on public transportation  (Read 5253 times)

SPuck

Animals on public transportation
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
So I know that in Boston (and I am guessing in Massachusetts in general) that dogs are aloud on public transportation during non commuting hours. Is it rude for that animal to take up a seat?

Margo

Re: Animals on public transportation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »
It depends what you mean by taking up a seat. I think it's inappropriate to let a dog sit in the seat, as having potentially dirty paws, and shedding hair on a seat is inconsiderate to other travellers.

I think having a dog sitting on the floor in a position which prevents someone using a seat is fine, so long as other seats are available. I think it's similar to taking up space with your bag or coat - whether it's rude depends on whether other seats are available, and how polite the dog owner is if asked to move their pet

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
MBTA rules are that dogs are not allowed on the seats, so rudeness shouldn't even enter the equation. (They aren't allowed to annoy other passengers, either.)
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

SPuck

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
MBTA rules are that dogs are not allowed on the seats, so rudeness shouldn't even enter the equation.

I did not know that. I can imagine that most dogs wouldn't be comfortable on a seat anyway. Something like a golden retriever would not be able to sit in them.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
Locally, only service animals are allowed on public transportation.  However, even they must not block seating or annoy other passengers.  I'd say if the animal is in a seat the owner is rude.

Only me

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
I know in various public transits around my city, Service Dogs are allowed at all times, but regular pets are only allowed during non rush hour times.

That being said if I had my little 10lb dog with me she'd be sitting on my lap and not the floor cause people would be able to walk over her. But this is a good discussion topic.  :)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
I do not care for pets on public transportation ever.  (I do not consider a service animal a pet.) But so long as one is following the rules, I abide by their right to have them.  But I'm pretty certain all public transport, if they allow pets have certain restrictions such they need to be in a carrier or on a leash, cannot be on seats, cannot be disruptive (and yes a cold nose exploring my ankles is disruptive!), etc. While I think sometimes some rules can be pushed, I don't think the pet rules are in that group.  Public transportation is already annoying enough.

Jones

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
I am suddenly reminded of the children's book Henry Huggins, in which Henry tries to bring a stray dog (Ribsy) on the bus, but is told he needs a box, so he gets an empty box from a helpful drugstore clerk. Had my whole third grade class rolling with laughter when we read it.

ETA: Here's the story, still makes me giggle.
Henry and Ribsy meet
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:49:24 PM by Jones »

Salvage3

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
I really can't accept that no animals should be on public transportation; mainly, because of the fact that many individuals do not have their own vehicles or other resources to get to free spay and neuter clinics and the like.  However, I do agree --and that is the practice, I believe with our public transportation --that they have to be caged or leashed and capable of being held by the owner or be able to lay or be placed under a seat.

amylouky

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I am suddenly reminded of the children's book Henry Huggins, in which Henry tries to bring a stray dog (Ribsy) on the bus, but is told he needs a box, so he gets an empty box from a helpful drugstore clerk. Had my whole third grade class rolling with laughter when we read it.

ETA: Here's the story, still makes me giggle.
Henry and Ribsy meet

LOVED that story and had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder and link!

sunnygirl

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »
I think it's fine but definitely on a leash or in a box, and not on a seat.

I have to take my pet white rats on the tube sometimes, but I put their travelling cage inside a sports bag so no one can see.

mich3554

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
I regularly fly with my cat.  I have to pay for him to be on board and he is in a carrier at my feet.  Despite having to pay for him, his carrier is considered one of my 2 pieces of carry on luggage, which means I have to check a bag as well.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
If a dog occupies a seat on public transportation, it must occupy a window seat, and it must stick its head out of the window.  This rule is suspended for airplanes.

On second thought, those may be dogs' rules.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »
I regularly fly with my cat.  I have to pay for him to be on board and he is in a carrier at my feet.  Despite having to pay for him, his carrier is considered one of my 2 pieces of carry on luggage, which means I have to check a bag as well.

Shouldn't he be checked in the hold as live cargo?

Mikayla

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
If he's in a regulation sized carrier that can be stowed under the seat in front of you, he can be brought into the cabin.  Some carriers or countries require proof of vaccinations for this.  I've done it tons of times.