Author Topic: Animals on public transportation  (Read 4957 times)

AuntyEm

Re: Animals on public transportation
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
I like to see animals on public transport as long as there is plenty of space and they are under the owner's control.  I would be annoyed if one was sitting uncaged on a seat (animal hair). The only ones I've ever seen were very quiet and well behaved. I would just consider it an extension of the sidewalk to get somewhere.   

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
I regularly fly with my cat.  I have to pay for him to be on board and he is in a carrier at my feet.  Despite having to pay for him, his carrier is considered one of my 2 pieces of carry on luggage, which means I have to check a bag as well.

Shouldn't he be checked in the hold as live cargo?

Only if they are over 20 lbs.

I think it is 15 pounds.  Maybe varies by airline, but my bichon and Shih tzu both are at the max weight for flying in cabin in an approved carrier under the seat. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
I have flown with my dog many times in cabin.  He went from Seoul Korea to Chicago via Tokyo in cargo and I will never again do that to him.  Poor thing held his business for 17 hours in his crate.   

He is fine in the cabin.  I do have to give him something to calm him down, otherwise he doesn't understand why he can't come sit on my lap.  On most airlines, they have to say zipped in their carrier, but I unzip a bit so his head can stick out.  As long as he can see me, he is fine. 

I have never run into a passenger upset he is on board.  I have to call ahead to reserve his spot and if someone is allergic and/or complains, apparently the standard is for the airline to rebook that person and not bump me and the dog since we pre-planned and paid for this service. 

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
Here in Chicago you can bring pets on the buses & L as long as they are in a carrier. Not sure about the Metra. When we moved from Boston to New Mexico with our hedgehog, we could only fly Delta & had to make two stopovers. She also couldn't be in a hamster sized carrier, we had to get a small cat carrier which was odd as it was about 10x bigger than we needed. Going through security was interesting to say the least.

The chickens didn't bother me but the goats seemed to think my hair was a delicacy.

Why oh why did I read this when I was eating? New monitor please!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
Can't resist recounting a tale from a recently-deceased British author, of a journey taken by him some three-quarters of a century ago.  His experience was on a local train in Ireland.  The train conductor was checking tickets, and, I quote, "the elderly woman sharing my seat had lost her ticket, and without ceremony dumped a small pink piglet wearing a harness on my lap whilst she searched for it. Luckily it [the piglet, not the ticket] was house-trained and rather beguiling !  Further along the journey, [lady and piglet] alighted..."

To quote another favourite author of mine, "I like people who relate affectionately to their pigs..."

Betelnut

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
I've taken a cat in a carrier on the New York City subway.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I wasn't going to pay a cab to go from the shelter in Manhattan to my apartment in Queens.

As I recall, the train was pretty empty and I did put the case on the seat next to me.  If someone wanted it, I would have moved the case to the floor.

I don't think any animals, except service ones, are allowed on the train without being in a carrying case(?)
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

SPuck

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
I don't think any animals, except service ones, are allowed on the train without being in a carrying case(?)

In Massachusetts dogs of any size are allowed on trains during non-commuting hours. My SIL used to take her dog home on the train when she had to leave her work early, and it's at least 60 pound lab/blood hound mix.

veryfluffy

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
There are specific rules in the UK:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/luggage_animals.html

You can take up to two animals free of charge on trains, but they may not occupy a seat "otherwise a charge will be made." So you could have them on the seat, if you buy them a ticket.