Author Topic: Does anyone here speak Irish?  (Read 633 times)

CuriousGeorge

Does anyone here speak Irish?
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
I was wondering if I could ask you a favor, please?

I have a simple phrase I'd like translated, but I want to make sure I have the for sure correct version.  I did the paid translation thing online (where it's only a few bucks), but my paranoid side wants to make triple sure I have the correct spelling/phrasing, etc., before I get the engraving done (this is for a birthday gift).

Nibsey

Re: Does anyone here speak Irish?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
Not since school. I could probably tell you if it looks right but unless it's a common or easy phrase, I wouldn't be confident enough for you to get it engraved. There's a few good learning Irish forums who members often help people with translating phrases, so maybe give that a try.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »
Thanks!  The phrase I'm translating is:  "A drink precedes a story."  The translation I got was:  "Is túisce deoch ná scéal."

Do you by any chance have a link to the Irish forums or can point me in the right direction?  Thanks much for your help.  :)

Nibsey

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »
Actually I don't need to. That's a well known proverb and that's the correct spelling, including the fada's.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
Thank you so, so much.  I know it was only a couple bucks, but I'm relieved to know it wasn't for nothing.  Thank you, Nibsey!  :)