General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Is it ever ok to hang up on someone?

<< < (5/5)

FlyingBaconMouse:
I think it's perfectly okay to hang up, though I always say "I've got to go," or "Goodbye," or "I've got to hang up now" as I do it. For some reason, people who hang up without doing that in the middle of an argument make me really, really angry—Incredible Hulk, "you-wouldn't-like-me-when-I'm-angry" angry— so I don't do it to other people.

Just Lori:
I think the OP's examples are worthy of hangups.  I hang up on my children when they call home asking for money or an irrational favor and won't take no for an answer.  I preface it with "I'm hanging up now, call me back when you're ready to have a mature discussion."

My father is an abrupt conversation ender.  When he's done talking, he's done talking, especially if he is otherwise distracted.   Our conversations often go like this:

Me:  Hi Dad, how are you?
Dad:  Good.  How are you?
Me:  We're all good.  Last week we all won the Olympic Gold in the Couch Olympics.
Dad:  That's great.  Here's your mother.

Sharnita:
I think an argument kind of indicates stuff going both ways, Abuse is more one sided.

Twik:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on November 08, 2012, 10:47:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: BarensMom on November 07, 2012, 01:20:21 PM ---This thread came up in conversation at dinner last night.  Not to sidetrack the thread, but is it okay to hang up on a friend/acquaintance who is obviously drunk to the point of repeating the same things ad nauseam?

--- End quote ---

Why not?  They won't remember anyway!  :-\

--- End quote ---

Lol! My thought exactly. And EvilTwik would be willing to convince them, if they did remember, that they must have dreamed it.

CrazyDaffodilLady:
Twice I've hung up on someone who got into a shouting argument with their spouse while on the phone with me.  I listened to the yelling for a minute or so and then hung up; it felt intrusive to keep listening, and there was no way for me to get their attention long enough to say goodbye. Neither person ever mentioned it.  I don't remember who called whom later.  It was like it never happened, although I suspect they were embarrassed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version