General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Is it ever ok to hang up on someone?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Katana_Geldar:
That hanging up on a telemarketer reminded me of one that called and asked if I was satisfied with my bank. I said 'Yes' and hung up. Then he called me back.

But yeah, I won't feel guilty now. It was made worse when she called me on a night I told her not to unless an emergency.

SamiHami:
And if the above advice isn't enough to convince you, remember-you pay for your telephone and service. You are perfectly within your etiquette rights to decide that this service will not be used for someone else to abuse, yell, annoy or otherwise bother you.

Venus193:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on November 06, 2012, 06:49:57 PM ---Of course its ok to hang up on someone who is shouting at and berating you. Its also ok to not pick up when they call back and instead screen calls until they've settled down.

Its also ok to hang up on telemarketers after saying "no thank you" or "I'm not interested".
Its ok to hang up on recorded messages.
Its ok to hang up aftr saying "wrong number" without listening to any other questions (like "well what number is this?" Or "well actually you sound hot...")
Its ok to hang up on prank or obscene calls.
Its ok to hang up when the conection is so bad all you hear is "a up bur wha eh fo cha" or some variation therein.

Its also ok to hang up in the midst of an emergency like an oven fire or cat fight or kid bleeding, although its best to call back an apologise later.

--- End quote ---

This.

Although I tend to have this problem with only one person who happens to be very insecure.  She shouts if she's in a panic or if we're having a disagreement.  I hold the phone at arm's length and I can still hear her.  What I then do is take a deep breath and tell her -- in my most authoritative tone -- that shouting is both unnecessary and rude and that I will not tolerate it.  If that doesn't prompt an immediate apology I inform her that I will hang up on her the next time she does this.  I follow through with that if necessary.

MrTango:
I'm of the opinion that if someone starts shouting and/or swearing, the other party is not rude to hang up the phone.

If I've hung up on someone because they are swearing and/or shouting at me, I will let the phone roll over to voicemail if they try calling back.

MariaE:

--- Quote from: SamiHami on November 06, 2012, 08:23:16 PM ---And if the above advice isn't enough to convince you, remember-you pay for your telephone and service. You are perfectly within your etiquette rights to decide that this service will not be used for someone else to abuse, yell, annoy or otherwise bother you.

--- End quote ---

Depends on where the OP lives. I only pay for outgoing calls - incoming calls are free.

But other than that I agree with PPs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version