Author Topic: Is it ever ok to hang up on someone?  (Read 6456 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Is it ever ok to hang up on someone?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Personally, I think you're not "hanging up on" someone if you say, "I'm hanging up now," and then hang up. No matter who they are. Or, "bye" works as well ("sorry, wrong number! bye").

In the case of someone ranting at me, I think that's what I'd do. I wouldn't wait for "my turn to talk"--I'd just say, "You're shouting at me and berating me, and I don't want to listen to it. I'm hanging up now. Bye." And then I'd hang up.

And I wouldn't answer the phone if it rang again right away. Because I'm pretty sure it's them, right? and why get into it. If I had any way to screen their calls, I'd make them wait 2 days to get to speak to me again.

Another option is to just lay the phone down and walk away. But if they really are scolding you without letting you be part of an actual conversation, i think your hanging up is a stronger message.

I think you dilute it by answering when they call back, though.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
I think it is perfectly polite to hang up on someone who is screaming at/swearing at you.  You can do so with or without the warning that you are going to hang up.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
This thread came up in conversation at dinner last night.  Not to sidetrack the thread, but is it okay to hang up on a friend/acquaintance who is obviously drunk to the point of repeating the same things ad nauseam?

Why not?  They won't remember anyway!  :-\

CakeBeret

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
My Dad taught me the tactic that I use to this day. Tell the other person, "That is enough. You may call me back when you are ready to talk civilly. Goodbye." And you know, it works wonders.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
As far as I am concerned it is almost a service when they are abusive. You are being clear about your boundaries.

As far as the drunk thing, to me that is kind of like a friend leaving their fast food trash on your lawn. You don't have to toletate it and it is better to draw clear lines.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 08:08:08 AM »
I think it's perfectly okay to hang up, though I always say "I've got to go," or "Goodbye," or "I've got to hang up now" as I do it. For some reason, people who hang up without doing that in the middle of an argument make me really, really angry—Incredible Hulk, "you-wouldn't-like-me-when-I'm-angry" angry— so I don't do it to other people.
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 08:29:59 AM »
I think the OP's examples are worthy of hangups.  I hang up on my children when they call home asking for money or an irrational favor and won't take no for an answer.  I preface it with "I'm hanging up now, call me back when you're ready to have a mature discussion."

My father is an abrupt conversation ender.  When he's done talking, he's done talking, especially if he is otherwise distracted.   Our conversations often go like this:

Me:  Hi Dad, how are you?
Dad:  Good.  How are you?
Me:  We're all good.  Last week we all won the Olympic Gold in the Couch Olympics.
Dad:  That's great.  Here's your mother.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
I think an argument kind of indicates stuff going both ways, Abuse is more one sided.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
This thread came up in conversation at dinner last night.  Not to sidetrack the thread, but is it okay to hang up on a friend/acquaintance who is obviously drunk to the point of repeating the same things ad nauseam?

Why not?  They won't remember anyway!  :-\

Lol! My thought exactly. And EvilTwik would be willing to convince them, if they did remember, that they must have dreamed it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
Twice I've hung up on someone who got into a shouting argument with their spouse while on the phone with me.  I listened to the yelling for a minute or so and then hung up; it felt intrusive to keep listening, and there was no way for me to get their attention long enough to say goodbye. Neither person ever mentioned it.  I don't remember who called whom later.  It was like it never happened, although I suspect they were embarrassed.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.