Author Topic: Refusing to meet the Royals  (Read 7272 times)

BarensMom

Re: Refusing to meet the Royals
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 01:12:37 AM »
I agree with those who say it isn't rude to decline, but it is rude to broadcast one's reasons. 

If given the opportunity, I would decline, but I would keep my reasons to myself, as they are slightly different than people would think.

Lauren

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »
Princess Diana has been dead over 15 years. I think it's time to let it go. If her oldest son can have Camilla stand up at his wedding as the (step) mother of the groom I think a person who never knew her has no place to refuse to meet them 'on her behalf'

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »
I don't think anyone needs to let anything go and they can refuse to meet anybody they please.  I, myself, have no interest in meeting more than a few well-known people.  But even if I agree with the reasons and opinion about a person (and I'm not saying I do or don't in this case), telling the world just feels so tacky, attention-seeking, and undignified to me.  YMMV.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
I agree that it's tacky and undignified to tweet about it, or share it with the world, but I don't think it's an etiquette issue.  Being tacky or undignified isn't rude.  What about this situation makes it an etiquette violation?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 01:01:03 PM »
Princess Diana has been dead over 15 years. I think it's time to let it go. If her oldest son can have Camilla stand up at his wedding as the (step) mother of the groom I think a person who never knew her has no place to refuse to meet them 'on her behalf'

This, so much. At this point, it just smacks of pure meanness and vitriol.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
I agree that it's tacky and undignified to tweet about it, or share it with the world, but I don't think it's an etiquette issue.  Being tacky or undignified isn't rude.  What about this situation makes it an etiquette violation?

It is like saying "Ewwww! I don't want to eat this!" at a dinner party, instead of gracefully declining. You can like whatever/whoever you want, you can think whatever you want, but the only thing that should come out of your mouth is "No, thank you."
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Iris

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

It is like saying "Ewwww! I don't want to eat this!" at a dinner party, instead of gracefully declining. You can like whatever/whoever you want, you can think whatever you want, but the only thing that should come out of your mouth is "No, thank you."

Also this is one of the more watched morning shows in Australia, so it's not like a private conversation among friends. There's a very real chance that Charles and Camilla would hear about it. If she'd had this conversation down at the pub with a couple of her bffs then it wouldn't worry me. It's having it on national television in a country where these people are currently visiting that makes it rude to me.

Also many people (not me!) care what television personalities say. By dredging up something like that it is bringing it to the forefront of people's minds and it may well make Charles' and Camilla's visit a little less pleasant than otherwise. My personal view is that the British Royal Family should have no dominion over Australia, but I have nothing personal against them and they are currently guests in 'my home'.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

I would somewhat disagree.  I think you can refuse to meet them for any reason you want, be it that you object to colonialism or that Prince Charles wears ugly ties. However, broadcasting that reason is not necessary.

I admit, though, that it is a pretty eyerolling reason.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
I agree with those who say it isn't rude to decline, but it is rude to broadcast one's reasons. 

Pod.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JadeAngel

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
I think in retrospect what I found most distasteful about it was that she went to the 'free champagne tent' rather than meet Camilla and Charles, which says to me that you're happy to take advantage of and enjoy the hospitality of your hosts, but not willing to take time to extend a basic courtesy to another guest who is a foreign dignitary.

Kind of on a par with someone who comes to the wedding only for the free meal and open bar and doesn't take the time to greet the hosts or thank them for their hospitality at the end of the evening...

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
I think in retrospect what I found most distasteful about it was that she went to the 'free champagne tent' rather than meet Camilla and Charles, which says to me that you're happy to take advantage of and enjoy the hospitality of your hosts, but not willing to take time to extend a basic courtesy to another guest who is a foreign dignitary.

Kind of on a par with someone who comes to the wedding only for the free meal and open bar and doesn't take the time to greet the hosts or thank them for their hospitality at the end of the evening...

Were they the hosts?  This is a little unclear to me.  Were they the hosts, honored guests, what?  And if they we re the hosts where do the funds come from? Does the money for them to host those kinds of shindigs come from taxes or some other source? I realize it gets a little political but I think that hosting on the government dime might be a bit different than hosting on your own.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »
My SIL once had a chance to be in a receiving line to meet (then) President Bill Clinton. She decided to stand in line for a hot dog instead.

But she doesn't tweet about it.

:o  :o

I'd do anything to meet that guy.
Stewart/Colbert '16

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
You can refuse to meet someone on moral grounds.  You lose on etiquette grounds when you tweet about it afterward.