Author Topic: butter flavor shortening for pie crust? -updated - nevermind!Thx!  (Read 628 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Today is my DH's birthday.  I am making him his favorite cherry pie.  I went to grab my shortening out of the pantry for the crust and all I have is butter flavor shortening. 

Is that OK, do you think?  Will it dramatically change the flavor of the crust?

Thanks!

ETA:  Nevermind!  I opened to see how buttery it smelled and it smelled rancid, so I'm off to the store.... :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:39:59 AM by joraemi »

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Melle

Re: butter flavor shortening for pie crust? -updated - nevermind!Thx!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
Oh, this is so very much something that could have happened to me :)

But for the record, I don't think butter flavor could hurt... anything O_O

HermioneGranger

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
What?  No potential contribution to the "I shouldn't have eaten that" thread?   >:D

Now I want pie...

EmmaJ.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
I've used butter-flavored shortening in pie crusts - they turn out delicious.  Rich and buttery, tastes very much like a shortbread.

In a pinch, I've also used half shortening, half butter.

Btw, I store my shortening in the fridge.  Never any off flavors, and it's always ready for pie dough - the recipes all specify "cold shortening".

lowspark

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »
I store my shortening in the fridge too. I buy those shortening "sticks" which make measuring easy and they don't take up as much room in the fridge as those big ol' tubs either.

And I agree, for future reference, the butter flavor shortening would have been fine. I use half butter & half shortening in pie crusts unless I'm trying to make it Vegan in which case I use all shortening.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
It sounds gross but if you want REALLY good crust, use Lard instead of shortening and  toss it in the freezer for an hour or so before you roll it out. You will be amazed at how flaky it will turn out.  I've started keeping a crust ball or two in the freezer for quick dinner pies. I just roll the ball up in plastic wrap and then vacu-seal it in a bag. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »
I don't bake at all, but when I used to make fry bread I always fried it in shortening.  Otherwise it just didn't taste the same.  I don't make it anymore because of the carbs and the lard.  :'(
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Firecat

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
It sounds gross but if you want REALLY good crust, use Lard instead of shortening and  toss it in the freezer for an hour or so before you roll it out. You will be amazed at how flaky it will turn out.  I've started keeping a crust ball or two in the freezer for quick dinner pies. I just roll the ball up in plastic wrap and then vacu-seal it in a bag.

POD. Lard is amazing for pie crust. And once you've assembled the pie, you can make any scraps into a ball and roll them out. Put onto a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and poke all over with a fork. Bake at the same temperature you'll be using for the pie for about 5 minutes. Enjoy while still warm.

Edited to replace filtered word (although it was funny :-)).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:28:40 PM by Firecat »

amylouky

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
POD. Lard is amazing for pie crust. And once you've assembled the pie, you can make any scraps into a ball and roll them out. Put onto a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and wingadingdingy all over with a fork. Bake at the same temperature you'll be using for the pie for about 5 minutes. Enjoy while still warm.
hahaha.. love that filter!
I like cutting out shapes from the scraps to decorate the pie.. leaves, stars, etc.