Author Topic: Asian (maybe Japanese) rice dish that is brown colored (*not* brown rice)  (Read 852 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
anyone ever seen this? I ate at a restuarant last night - had a delicious dish of chicken on a bed of rice. the rice was brown colored but it wasn't brown rice (i.e., it was white rice, probably some kind of long grain/basmatti/tilda rice, that due to spice and I-don't-know-what, was brown in color). it was listed on the menu as "stir fried rice with vegetables" so i was expecting "white rice that is dotted with itsy bitsy pieces of veg and was pleasantly surprised. this dish was mixed with some vegetables

does anyone know what i'm talking about? recipes? i'm tring to phone the restaurant but no reply and i don't know if they will give me the recipe. i've tried googling but it keeps giving me recipes for "brown rice" (=whole grain) ::).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Asian (maybe Japanese) rice dish that is brown colored (*not* brown rice)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:58:24 AM »
Soy sauce is the most likely ingredient. Stir-fried rice usually has soy sauce (in my experience anyway) and it colours the rice brown.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Melle

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:28 AM »
It's probably a variant of okonomiyaki-/ tonkatsu sauce, a thick mixture of soy sauce and worchester sauce. There's probably a bit of powdered seaweed in there as well.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
That's just the soy sauce on regular long grain white rice. The onion gives it most of the flavor, with a little celery, carrots, peas and scrambled eggs. Well, that's how our local Chinese restaurant serves it, and it is owned and run by people from China.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
It is most likely soy sauce as that's the common way of doing it - was it sweet at all?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
thanks.

It wasn't sweet sweet - but it was sweet-ish i guess. tasty, not spicy

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
Well I use sugar in asian foods sometimes - I'm fairly certain you had rice which was cooked with vegetables & soy sauce.  The sweetness could come from the veggies or a little sugar. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
Did you try googling "Japanese fried rice"?  Do that, then click "images" and find the one that looks like what you had and look for the recipe for that.  Or even just google for "stir fried rice" as far as looking for the recipe.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »
thanks everyone for your suggestions - i'm so going to try this today!

Did you try googling "Japanese fried rice"?  Do that, then click "images" and find the one that looks like what you had and look for the recipe for that.  Or even just google for "stir fried rice" as far as looking for the recipe.

thanks - i was googling "vegetable fried rice" and that wasn't what i wanted, but Japanese fried rice worked! thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:43:42 AM by cicero »