Author Topic: Agave nectar vs sugar?  (Read 919 times)

RobinJ

Agave nectar vs sugar?
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
I have found a chocolate pudding recipe that calls for avocado - something I had heard of and wanted to try for a while now.  The recipe is as follows:

Avocado Chocolate Pudding

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 2-3 servings

Serving Size: 1/2 cup

2 ripe medium avocados, peeled and chopped
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 cup honey or raw agave nectar (or other sweetener of choice)
    1/2 cup milk (regular or almond milk, coconut, etc.)
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients, until smooth, in a blender, food processor or using a hand held mixer. Serve immediately, or chill first.

My question is this.  I don't have honey at home nor do I have or know what agave nectar is.  Can I use sugar, truvia, or splenda as a replacement?  If so, is it an equal substitution?  My avocados are about to go bad and wanted to try this but don't need to go to the store otherwise any time soon.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
Re: Agave nectar vs sugar?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
Generally speaking, you can just use sugar and increase the amount by ~1.25. (So, ~1/3 cup sugar)

However since this is a pudding that you are supposed to blend, I'm not sure how well that would work out in terms of texture—it might end up a bit grainy. I'm not sure how splenda or truvia work in terms of texture, but one of them might be a better option.

Another sub for agave is pure maple syrup.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
Agave is cactus syrup.  It tastes best as tequila IMO  :)

If I were going to adapt this recipe, I'd use either maple syrup or I'd make a simple syrup (basically boil water and keep adding sugar until it won't dissolve anymore - at least a 1:1 ratio, but I'd try to push that to at least 2:1 sugar water ratio both by adding more sugar but also boiling it for a bit to evaporate some of the water once the sugar is completely incorporated).  I wouldn't use a dry sweetener like actual sugar though, as I'm thinking the use of liquid sweetener is doing a lot toward texture in this recipe.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
Generally speaking, you can just use sugar and increase the amount by ~1.25. (So, ~1/3 cup sugar)

However since this is a pudding that you are supposed to blend, I'm not sure how well that would work out in terms of texture—it might end up a bit grainy. I'm not sure how splenda or truvia work in terms of texture, but one of them might be a better option.

Another sub for agave is pure maple syrup.

I'd create sugar water as a replacement.  For a 1/4 cup I'd add a 1/4 cup sugar to a 1/4 cup water and heat till the sugar dissolves.  That way your volume of liquid stays the same.

ilrag

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
Actually tequila can only be made from one kind of agave,  agave tequilana  where agave nectar (like mezcal) can be made from different varieties of agave.

You can find agave nectar at most health food stores, or smaller/less cooperate markets. If you're into baking it's delicious as a sugar sub in quick breads.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »
I agree with the simple syrup or even corn syrup.  But Agave can be found in most grocery stores nowadays and is a lovely product.  I love using it whenever I can.

Bright

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
The other recipes I'm reading suggest that the honey is just for flavour, not for texture. I looked around and found a recipe that just uses sugar.

http://greenlitebites.com/2011/02/20/avocado-chocolate-pudding/

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
The other recipes I'm reading suggest that the honey is just for flavour, not for texture. I looked around and found a recipe that just uses sugar.

http://greenlitebites.com/2011/02/20/avocado-chocolate-pudding/

Well honey, agave, sugar are all for sweetening the flavor.  Both recipes doesn't have any cooking steps hence the syrup, honey or agave suggestions.  Sugar would leave a grainy taste to it since it wouldn't dissolve without a liquid or cooking.   I would still do a simple syrup of sugar and water.