Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Looking for a beanless chili recipe for the slow cooker

(1/3) > >>

Diane AKA Traska:
Hey!  It's slow cooker time, and I'm looking for a chili recipe that's not too hot (but not mild either...just medium heat) that doesn't use beans. We're big fans of chili (on rice, on pasta, with crackers, by itself, in mac and cheese...), and I've been dying to try a good chili.  I figure I may not get it perfect the first time, but I love to spice until I get it right.

Luci:
Did you try just searching for "Slow cooker beanless chili recipes"?

I just ran a Yahoo! search and got a ton of hits. 

Mikayla:
I have one I've been using for years that I made up in my head.  I've been meaning to write it down anyway :)

The basic ingredients are 2 cans of diced tomatoes (with liquid) per lb of ground beef.  I toss this in the pot along with about half a diced onion, half a cup of chopped bell pepper and sometimes half a stalk of chopped celery.  For spices, I dump in some Tobasco, serious garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder (probably a couple T on this one), red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and then about a 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa. 

Then I walk away and life my life for an hour or so.   Come back, taste, add more spice, and go live again.

One other option:  I've also made this with adding in 1 cup of peanut halves if you want a substitute for the beans.  Depending on how liquid-y you want it, you may need to add a little more, and I'd use some tomato sauce or beef broth.

Also, I've only done this on the stove and then set it on warm for a several hours.  The crockpot may be more liquid-ish, so you'd just add more meat or tomatoes.

This is kind of vague, I realize, but I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.  If you're comfortable playing around with spices, and can adjust to the liquid-ishness issue, it's really foolproof.

Ms_Cellany:
I use a half-and-half mixture of cubed chuck (aka stew meat) and Nolan Ryan sausage cut in chunks, then add stuff until it sounds right. Mikayla's looks great.

Harriet Jones:

--- Quote from: Ms_Cellany on November 09, 2012, 06:09:44 PM ---I use a half-and-half mixture of cubed chuck (aka stew meat) and Nolan Ryan sausage cut in chunks, then add stuff until it sounds right. Mikayla's looks great.

--- End quote ---

What type of sausage is Nolan Ryan?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version