Author Topic: drive-thru etiquette  (Read 2236 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
drive-thru etiquette
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »
This is a question about lineups and drive-thrus.  I apologize for the crudeness of the drawing, but it's the only way to really get across the layout of the gas station with the coffee shop and drive-thru.

I should note that the offices can be approached from the other side of the gas station fillup area, so it is actually possible to go around the gas station, pull through to the offices, and form a lineup for the drive-thru that way.  There is also a separate entrance to the offices from just left of where the picture ends.  The green squiggles are bushes and are at the top of a hill.  The offices are just below the little hill.  The hill is about an 8ft drop.

That said, the lineup does not *usually* go that way.  It usually backs out onto Main Road, which has two lanes.  This coffee spot is directly off the highway and 90% of the traffic into the coffee shop drive-thru comes from the highway.  90% of the inside coffee shop lineups come from a combo of gas station customers and office people.  Sometimes I will park the car and go inside if the drive-thru lineup is very busy.  It is possible to pull around the lineup into the entrance, as it is about 2.5 cars wide.

I was approaching from Main Road heading <--- that way.  I turned into the gas station intending to get in line for the drive-thru.

I looked left, but only as far as the corner of the entrance, and mainly to check for oncoming/outgoing traffic.  I didn't look right into the road to/from the offices for a few reasons.
a) there is only very rarely a lineup coming from that direction
b) when there is, the next car in line usually pulls up to the corner of the entrance to allow cars in and out while also making it obvious they are next in line, and
c) if the lineup forms there, it really does block access to the office roads.
also, d) it's hard to see.

As the car in front of me pulled through, I heard a loooooong, loud "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK".
I turned to my left and saw a very angry woman hanging out of her window yelling at me that I was cutting the line.  Sure enough, there were 3 people behing her. 

Her car was roughly where the bushes are in my picture, so just at the top of the hill.

I may have been wrong in assuming I was next.  I did not want a confrontation, so I just pulled out of line and left the drive-thru completely.  I ended up getting my coffee elsewhere.

Thoughts?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: drive-thru etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »
I think you handled it right, just because in this situation the path of least resistance seems best, but in general I don't think its ok for a line to cross an intersection. The line hugging the turn from the main road makes sense. The line forming over by the office buildings means its crossing the path of people trying to get gas or go to work, which really isn't ok IMO.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
That's what I've always presumed - the least inconvenient path, or where most of the people form the line most of the time. 

Of course, if there is already a line, I do think it's rude to just cut and form your own (which is why I left), but there was honestly no way to tell who in the line was there for the coffee shop and who was just trying to get out, kwim?

Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
Most drive thrus that I have been around have lines and arrows painted on the ground; I think it's a shame that this one didn't, they probably should before some office worker and a coffee customer get into an eventual fist fight.