64 (44.8%)
Ambidextrous
8 (5.6%)
Dominant right, but performing some tasks regularly left-handed
36 (25.2%)
Dominant left, but performing some tasks regularly right-handed
14 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: Left hand, right hand?  (Read 3406 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Left hand, right hand?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
I'm completely right.  Moving to Australia and having a stick shift car that required me to learn to shift left handed really confirmed that.  But my DH is left handed but does some things right handed.  He throws a baseball left handed but bats right handed.  He also shoots a gun right handed.  We've figured out it has do with his dominant eye but I can't remember which it is.

My kids are right as far as writing and most activities but are a lot more ambidextrous than I am.  DS can bat either way and DD can shoot either way.  She also shoots pool both left and right handed equally as well.

kajunchick

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
This is a timely topic for me because I just noticed something interesting about my DD14. She is right-handed, but she forms some of her letters opposite of me. For instance, she makes her o's clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

I think it goes back to first grade when her teacher was left-handed. She learned handwriting from watching her write on the blackboard.

I am right-handed, but when I quilt I use both hands, my right hand underneath, and my left hand on top where I can see the stitches. I use an embroidery hoop, so this is a faster method.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Gail

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
I'm right. Completely, 100 percent right. Had tunnel carpal syndrome (or tendinitis, can't difference between both) in college, close to an exam, so I tried to learn to write with my left hand to do the exam. I had to ask permission to do it orally because I couldn't even write my name. I'm totally useless with my left   :-[
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »
This is a timely topic for me because I just noticed something interesting about my DD14. She is right-handed, but she forms some of her letters opposite of me. For instance, she makes her o's clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

I think it goes back to first grade when her teacher was left-handed. She learned handwriting from watching her write on the blackboard.

Oh, wow, I wonder if my teacher was left-handed as well.  According to others, I make some of my letters and numbers opposite, too.  (In my opinion, they're the backwards ones.  ;D)  I've also heard the theory that I may technically be left-handed but learned to use my right hand instead.  That might explain why my handwriting is so awful!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

snowfire

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
I'm fairly ambidextrous. I write right handed, and mouse right handed, but I can mouse left handed.  When I was younger I played tennis righty and racquetball lefty.  I don't knit or crochet, but the grandmother who tried to teach me was a lefty who had been forced into being a righty so she was mighty confused on some things.  I shoot rifle right handed because it is easier since most are set up that way & I don't want a hot brass sandwich.  Pistol I'm totally ambidextrous. 

I also can switch back and forth when I'm painting or hammering. (I'm equally crappy at hammering with both hands.  :-\) Drills & such are no problem, I use whichever fits in the situation.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
Ambidextrous, but can really only write with my right hand. (Thanks Catholic school!)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
I'm a definite right handed person but strangely when I played softball I could bat either on the right or left side and sometimes did better on the left.   Which apparently is pretty unusual?  (I guess at least, because people were always surprised that (a) I could switch it up and (b) the left was better sometimes.)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Left handed through and through, runs in the family on dad's side. 
DH is a lefty, older mom.
One child is a lefty, other is a righty.

The single right hander has learned to hang clothes the left way.
She was in gymnastics, and now dance, so can do turns both directions easily.  She has learned to adapt! 

I am more creative, DH and DS are more analytical.  But we are all pretty high on the "tests" of how we draw, kick, step into pants, reach out, etc...

DS and DH have "engineer's handwriting," in that they take the shortest amount of strokes to form letters.   I do a half cursive and print.  I loathed handwriting as a child.  When I homeschooled my kids, I used Handwriting Without Tears, and recommend it for any child.

I play piano.  The right hand typically has more intricate fingerings.  I play about equally, but it may because most music has left hand with chords and right hand with melody. 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 02:23:27 PM »
I'm mostly right-handed, but when I played baseball I could bat and pitch either right or left-handed.  I would switch depending on the 'handedness' of the pitcher/batter i was up against.  Flustered a lot of opponents that way.

I can't write for beans with my left hand, but (here's where it gets weird) I write right-handed but hold my pen wrong and curve my hand like a lefty. My elementary school teachers tied themselves in knots trying to correct it, with special hand-strengthening exercises and all kinds of silly devices on my pencils to force me to hold them 'properly', but I'd just push them up on the pencil, out of my way.  To this day, I hold my pens/pencils 'wrong' and do a kind of half-print, half-cursive writing, but my handwriting is perfectly legible.  Here, I'll show you guys:

"After all this time?"
"Always."

HoneyBee42

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
I am definitely a dominant righty, but after an injury to my right hand when I was 20, I do a lot of things left-handed.

Anything that is carried tends to be carried in my left hand (because I lack feeling in part of my right hand), and when I reach to get things, I reach left-handed.  I can write pretty legibly with my left hand, but it is slower, so I don't consider myself truly ambidextrous.

demarco

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »
I am left handed.  So left handed that when I developed carpal tunnel in my left hand I had to stop writing for a while.  Trying to write with my right hand was unthinkable.  I did learn to crochet with my right hand but switched over to my left later on. 

I switched schools in third grade.  My first school didn't start cursive until fourth but my new school started in first grade.  So, I was way behind when I started the new school.  I was expected to learn cursive in a hurry.  I have terrible handwriting.  To this day, I don't know how much of that is due to the pressure of having to learn fast and how much is due to left handedness. 

Using scissors was always a problem for me.  Using right handed scissors with your left hand hurts!  I never knew there was such a things as left handed scissors until I was in my forties!  What a revelation! 

I have a terrible time with the concept of left and right and try not to give directions using those words because I get them mixed up.  I use north south east and west when possible but I find that a lot of people have a problem with those. I used to write the letter N backwards and didn't realize it until I was in my twenties.  Sometimes I transpose letters and numbers when reading them.  I don't know if these issues are related to left handedness or something else. 

I had a good friend who was left handed and could write backwards.  She also had the most beautiful handwriting.  I was in awe of her.

I have a left handed niece.  My MIL used to take my niece's fork from her left hand and place it in her right when she was a toddler.  This used to infuriate me but I said nothing because my niece's parents wanted to ignore it. 

GratefulMaria

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »
Completely right-handed with a woefully untalented left hand.  Seeing a post about driving a standard with the controls to my left made me feel bad for those who would have to put up with my driving if I didn't live in the States.

My mother is ambi, particularly with sharps -- paring knives, scissors. 

Iris

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
I describe myself as VERY right handed. The only things I do with my left hand/arm are hold babies (as does almost everyone for some mysterious reason) and things that require two hands/arms. Even when painting or something if I consciously shift arms to 'rest' my right arm I will find a minute later that I've unconsciously switched back.

When I fractured my right elbow and had to use my left arm (could still write but not move my arm) for things I actually bruised my own face with my toothbrush, I was that incompetent.  ::)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Soprych

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »

Soprych (interesting name, BTW) - do you find that knitting that way changes the tension in your work at all depending on which hand you're working with?
Soprych is my real life surname.  Pronounced Soap Rich which is humerous in that as a hobby/business I make soap.

My knitting tension is much more effected by my mood than by which hand I am using as dominant.   I have seen some Entrelec instruction that do suggest that alternating right left rows make it faster.

I also have dyslexia.  Although I cannot tell left from right, I can tell north - south - east - west.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
I'm right handed, but I knit the way my left-handed sister taught me.  I've been told I knit backward, but it gets the job done.