Author Topic: s/o Standing room only--baby strollers  (Read 8960 times)

wendelenn

Re: s/o Standing room only--baby strollers
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
I just wanted to expand on my earlier post.

In the instances that I witnessed, where a bus driver asked parents to fold up their strollers, it wasn't just large strollers and it wasn't always at times when the bus was full.

For the parents that this doesn't work for, they can always call a cab. I cannot take my dog on the bus. It doesn't upset me, I just know that when I need to transport him, I call a cab.

No they cannot, unless they also want to carry a carseat and strap it in (and that may not be safe or legal.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »

In the instances that I witnessed, where a bus driver asked parents to fold up their strollers, it wasn't just large strollers and it wasn't always at times when the bus was full.

For the parents that this doesn't work for, they can always call a cab.

I cannot take my dog on the bus. It doesn't upset me, I just know that when I need to transport him, I call a cab.

I think it's a whole lot easier to leave a pet at home than it is a child.

And the thing is, there will always be times when the train or bus is crowded.  Even if we take away all the strollers, tote bags, grocery bags, luggage, back packs, science projects, instruments, camera equipment, bicycles, etc.  There will always be times when the train or bus is elbow to elbow.  There will always be times when you need to jog down to a less crowded car or wait for the next train or be stuck with your nose at sweaty armpit level to the person next to you. 

I just don't think the ultimate in etiquette is efficiently maxing out the number of people on public transportation.  Since ultimately we're all going to be cramped at one point or have to take the next ride, let people have their things.  Especially as we aren't talking about passengers randomly opening up beach umbrellas on the trains or buses.  We're talking about strollers for children which serve - if not a "necessary" function, than an incredibly helpful one.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »
^ Well yes, of course.  But if a train is super packed, an open stroller can cause problems as it becomes a trip hazard.  People farther away, such as the doors trying to push on, will see an open space amongst the heads and will push and well, to be honest if its a person you are pushed into they are there to essentially push back (even if not push back per say, they are physically there for you bump into).  Whereas if its stroller your upper body will move but not your lower and you topple onto the stroller.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
Or onto the 3-y-o who is standing because Mom can't hold him.

Or onto the folded stroller.

The reason strollers get folded is so that they can't ROLL.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »

A standing 3 yo doesn't take much square footage so people wouldn't see what appeared to be a gap like they would with a stroller.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
All comparisons of strollers to wheelchairs will stop immediately.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »
We moved from the area before having a child, but I did always wonder how parents managed kids and strollers and car seats in urban areas.  So if you take your kids in a cab, do you need to supply the car seat?  And what about booster seats?  In Texas I think you've got to have the child in a booster seat until they're 8 or something.  How does the work if you are putting a 5 year old in a cab?

Buses and trains seem easier by comparison even with the stroller drama.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »

A standing 3 yo doesn't take much square footage so people wouldn't see what appeared to be a gap like they would with a stroller.

Having *been* on a crowded subway train w/ a standing 3-y-o, I can tell you that in the scenario described, when people are pushing, my child is in some pretty serious danger.

Frankly, there are short adults who would be in some pretty serious danger--they are NOT that much bigger around than a 3yo. Yes indeed, the gap would be visible. And people would be pressing into it, and *any* person the tiniest bit shorter would be in big danger. And the people pushing onto the train would be rude and dangerous, and it wouldn't matter about strollers at all.

And if people are pushing enough so that someone could fall over a stroller, then EVERYone is in danger.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »

For the parents that this doesn't work for, they can always call a cab.

I cannot take my dog on the bus. It doesn't upset me, I just know that when I need to transport him, I call a cab.

That's really not the same thing at all.  About the only time you "have" to transport your dog is to the vet, or perhaps the groomer's.  Many people have no choice but to take their children with them on errands - they can't always wait until the other parent or another adult is available to watch them.  Also - what if they're taking them to the doctor, or they need new shoes?

Perhaps it's possible to raise children and never need a stroller but I personally can't imagine it.  Common courtesy is in order of course, such as not bringing a huge SpaceAge model stroller on transit, and trying avoid rush hour if at all possible.  Overall I have to agree with PPs that strollers on transit are one of life's little inconveniences that we all have to put up with from time to time.

AnnaJ

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
I think your quote tag got a little bit borked there, just fyi - somehow johelenc1's post got transposed with my post about designed stroller areas on UK buses. (Sorry, don't mean to be difficult just wanted to make clear the quote above is not my post.)

Sorry Sunnygirl, and as someone else said, 'borked' may be my favorite new word.   :)

Coruscation

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
There's also strollers and then there's *strollers*...some take up not all that much room, can be folded etc. Others take up room for 4 or more and no way can it be easily folded up. It might not be a possibility to not have one at all, but surely giant stroller vs foldable stroller is definitely a choice.

They are quite expensive though. I had a large stroller because I lived in a small town and walked everywhere. When my two toddlers and I visited my father in the city, he suggested we leave it behind because we were going on public transport. Half way though the day I had to pay $80 for a small stroller, way more than I'd have paid at a non-city store. Once home, of course, I had no use for it.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
I would rather do... almost anything than take a stroller on public transport. I very much doubt many people do it completely by choice. I've never tried it, and I'm very glad I've never had to. But I took the bus for years and years before I ever had kids. In my experience, the people taking the bus with strollers also had bags for groceries (or whatever) stuffed into the bottom of the stroller. The normal-sized strollers are a pain in the rear to get around in the aisles, but they don't take up any more seating space than a kid, an adult, and a bunch of groceries would.

Putting the baby in a carrier is the best solution for a lot of things, but I can also imagine a lot of situations (not just the, "What if he/she has [crazy and unlikely disorder]??" situations) where it would not be workable.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »
I have a jogging stroller for little Upstart.  It's about average for my area as far as size goes so I can't say if it qualifies as a mega-stroller or not. I've folded it up a couple of times to stow in the car and I noticed it's pretty heavy and awkward.  It doesn't have a platform to sit on so if I had it on a bus or train I would have to hold onto it.  In other words, it can't stand on its own.  It'd be tricky to hold onto that and a toddler.

If I had to estimate, I think folded up it would maybe take up one person space - or 3/4 person? I wouldn't doubt it if there were more suitable city strollers out there though!

sweetonsno

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
Holy muffins. This thread has created quite a stir!

I think it's worth noting that we probably all have a different mental image when it comes to "strollers." When I read the initial post, I immediately thought of the Hummer-style strollers, ginormous behemoths that can hold a couple of kids (or more); enough diapers, formula, and changes of clothes to last through a full weekend; and Mom/Dad's latte, laptop, 4 iGizmos, umbrellas, spare coats, and gym clothes. You know, the ones that take up about as much space as a six-top. (No joke, I've seen strollers that take up more space than my dinner table.) I do think it's inconsiderate to take up that much real estate for stuff. (I think of it as being like taking public transportation to the airport when you are relocating and have four or more giant roller suitcases. I suppose sometimes it has to be done, but I also think most people can come up with an alternative.

However, if we're talking about the kind of stroller my mom used when my sister and I were young, I generally think "no harm done." The stroller was a canvas seat, the wheels, and the handles for pushing. Fully open, it probably had the space footprint of an average adult, and one could sling a diaper bag over the handles. That? No problem.If Mom/the kids could have a seat, it folded down small enough that you could comfortable put it between your knees. I doubt that most people would object to that.

Even in one of the situations where someone has to use a super-stroller, I think they can do quite a bit to avoid taking up aisle space, which is not only inconsiderate to other riders, but potentially dangerous for the kids. If you're blocking the way onto or off of the bus, people will have to scoot around, and even if they are very careful (holding onto the bars, etc), there is a chance that a coat zipper, loose shoulder bag, or something else could hit a child. Many busses and subways in large metropolitan areas have areas at the front for wheelchair parking. If those spaces aren't in use, I think a parent could park the stroller there. It wouldn't block traffic and it is probably safer for the occupants of the stroller as well.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
I ride the DC metro every day, along with the bus. There are always strollers. So long as the parents are paying attention and doing their best not to block the aisles, I cut them slack. They have to get to work too, after all, and taxis from my area to downtown would bankrupt you in a week.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls