Author Topic: Remembering old stuff  (Read 6127 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Remembering old stuff
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
My grandfather's house had push button lights. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Vall

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
We have an old home that still has some push button light switches.

When I first went on my own, money was tight so we had a wringer washer.

I remember my parents had a huge piece of furniture that housed a stereo.  They also had a black metal rotary phone.  My aunt had a wonderful (heavy) metal glider outside that was as big as a sofa.  I also remember all of the antique china cabinets that my Mennonite grandmother had.  She collected antiques and she had 22 full sized cabinets that were full of interesting stuff.

PeterM

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »

My parents had a rotary phone until well into this century. My little brother's friends loved it. They had to get rid of it when they switched phone companies. Apparently the company's official response when asked if they could keep it was best translated as "Are you out of your flippin' mind?!"

My fondest old stuff memories revolve around comic books. They used to cost a quarter, but by the time I was old enough to notice or care about the cost they were at least fifty cents, maybe seventy five. Then they jumped to ninety cents, then a dollar, then a buck twenty five, and it was off to the races.

Used to be you could buy just one title and get a coherent storyline. Heroes like Captain America or Batman might also appear in team books, but you didn't have to buy those if you didn't want to. Then came the Crisis at DC and Secret Wars at Marvel and after that every summer you had a huge crossover event. Then it turned into all-crossovers all the time so you'd have to buy all four Superman titles just so you could have any idea what was going on. Bah.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
My fondest old stuff memories revolve around comic books. They used to cost a quarter, but by the time I was old enough to notice or care about the cost they were at least fifty cents, maybe seventy five. Then they jumped to ninety cents, then a dollar, then a buck twenty five, and it was off to the races.

Used to be you could buy just one title and get a coherent storyline. Heroes like Captain America or Batman might also appear in team books, but you didn't have to buy those if you didn't want to. Then came the Crisis at DC and Secret Wars at Marvel and after that every summer you had a huge crossover event. Then it turned into all-crossovers all the time so you'd have to buy all four Superman titles just so you could have any idea what was going on. Bah.

Comiic book fan here -- just attended ComicCon (ETA - the one in Austin, TX) a couple weeks ago, and  was thrilled to get Neal Adams' autographh on an issue of Deadman, one of my favorites.

I'm dating myself, but I remember comic books when they cost only 12 cents.  I no longer collect them -- as you mentioned, prices got higher and higher, and crossover stories forced us to buy too many different issues.  Plus, a collector has to buy two copies, one for reading and one to keep in pristine condition to maintain its value.  It got way too expensive!  But I still have my collection of comic books, going back to the 1950's, when I first started reading.

JustCallMePat

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »
I forgot to include everyone's favorite!

Yard Darts!  >:D

Yep. Large plastic finned darts with heavily weighted and pointy metal ends, intended to be thrown up in the air and (hopefully) land in a circular plastic circle target thingy.  It was even more fun at picnics with lots of little kids (and a few drunk uncles) wandering around while they were being thrown...  ("Hey, I'll bet I *can* throw one higher than you can... Here, hold my beer and watch this!")  :o

Ah, such fond memories!  Although we do miss little Timmy!  :'(

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
LOL@ Pat! I still have my metal set, thankyouverymuch. :) (And I think we grew up together; I remember all of what you posted earlier)

I loved getting the Sears catalog and looking at the new clothes, and all of the toys. Going into Western Auto at Christmas, and seeing the tree lit up. The Sundays when the stores were closed--and also on Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving. Dressing up to go downtown (!!) and go shopping. Wearing white, lacy sox for Easter, with white gloves and a white straw hat. Playing in the leaves in fall--that smell--nothing like it. Playing outside all day, and coming home to take a bath, eat dinner, and then snuggling in bed, only to get up the next day and do it all over again. The innocence.

Simple memories of simple times. What joy these memories bring.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
That reminds me of the Service Merchandise catalog.  My family didn't have much money, but looking at the toy pages was almost as good as having it.  We kids looked at that yearly catalog like it was a favorite storybook and ragged it up pretty good by the time the next one arrived.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:48 PM »
Sewing on the old Singer treadle machine with my grandmother. Her teaching me to knit and crochet.

The fruit and veg man - an old gentleman, long grey beard and turban, on his horse-drawn cart, who'd come around every week selling fruit and veg down the street.

Our town wasn't sewered till I was in my mid teens, so each block had a laneway between the houses at the back, so the pans from the outhouses could be collected once a week.  We were lucky, we had a septic tank, but I can remember the fear and dread of redback spiders and the odour, particularly in summer, when visiting relatives.

Bakers and milkmen who delivered.

Shopping at small shops because there was no supermarket in town.

Walking or biking all over town for hours, to the beaches, to the shops, to the parks, basically anywhere.  And not being expected to be home until near dark.

Takeaway fish and chips on a Friday night.  And finally being old enough to order something different!

Schools with no aircon - baking hot in summer, cold in winter.  And one memorable day, walking to school in knee deep flood water with shoes off to keep them dry.  Ridiculous navy wool box pleated uniforms - hot and itchy.  School hats and school ties.  School holidays that seemed to go on forever.

Not having a TV at all, only ever saw a telly at my grandmother's house.  I think I was 6 or 7 when we finally got one.  And we didn't get colour TV in Aus until 1974, I think.  That was a spin-out! 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
LOL@ Pat! I still have my metal set, thankyouverymuch. :) (And I think we grew up together; I remember all of what you posted earlier)

I loved getting the Sears catalog and looking at the new clothes, and all of the toys. Going into Western Auto at Christmas, and seeing the tree lit up. The Sundays when the stores were closed--and also on Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving. Dressing up to go downtown (!!) and go shopping. Wearing white, lacy sox for Easter, with white gloves and a white straw hat. Playing in the leaves in fall--that smell--nothing like it. Playing outside all day, and coming home to take a bath, eat dinner, and then snuggling in bed, only to get up the next day and do it all over again. The innocence.

Simple memories of simple times. What joy these memories bring.

the Sears wish book at the holidays. we didn't have much money either but I can still remember going through and looking at and wanting all the toys. And as I got older, the Spiegel catalogs.

For those who feel nostalgic, found this website someone did, and scanned old Sears and other catalogs.  http://www.wishbookweb.com/ So much fun to look at!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »
Actually living in the same small town most of your life, where it was pretty hard to get into trouble because everyone knew who your parents were...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »
'Chinese jump rope' - kinda like cat's cradle for the feet.

Mix tapes.

Jello molds.

cheyne

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
Paying extra if you wanted automatic transmission in your car.  AM radio.  When Columbo talked about a "facsimile machine".  Sneaking around and staying up late to watch Johnny Carson.  First job getting minimum wage of $1.85 an hour.  Gas at .51 a gallon.  Coke in glass returnable bottles (and it's never tasted the same since they stopped bottling it that way).  "I am woman".  Hearing "Don't Fear the Reaper" with awesome cow bell for the first time.  The cover of Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the Moon".  Jim Croce.

Jordache jeans.  BIG hair, raccoon eyes, stovepipe leg jeans and high heels (all at the same time).  Hair Bands.  Gas at .95 a gallon.   Madonna, Cindy Lauper, Annie Lennox.  New Coke (thank goodness it died a quick death)! 

doodlemor

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
I remember the push button lights.  There are reproductions available in some catalogs.  It was possible to get a shock from those old switches if you touched it with wet hands, too.

When I was a child our town didn't have dial phones yet.  We had to pick up the phone and wait for an operator to say, "Number, please," and tell her the number.  Many people had party lines, too, which caused all sorts of problems.  Long distance calls were really a big deal, too, and often hard to hear.

We were thrilled when our little town finally went rotary, sometime in the very late 50's.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »
Mix tapes.

Made by holding a tape recorder really close to the radio just hoping your song(s) will come on.  And all the songs are cut off in the beginning. 

And somewhere out there is also a cassette tape of songs recorded off the TV.  ;D

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
My first car was the one my grandparents bought new - a 1960 red Plymouth Valiant. It had a slant 6 cylinder automatic transmission, but instead of a gear shift, it had push buttons. No radio. Bench seats in front and back. No seat belts.

We still use our 1 remaining rotary phone upstairs. It has a louder ring than any of our newer ones.