Author Topic: Remembering old stuff  (Read 6172 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Remembering old stuff
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »
Anyone else remember  .25 movies.

Sewing on the old Singer treadle machine with my grandmother. Her teaching me to knit and crochet.

Still have and use mine :)

How about those silver aluminum christmas tree with the color wheel spotlights that "changed" the color of the tree?

Lucky you, those things are worth a mint here!  Look after it well!  :-)

I have the modern version of that tree.  Tacky Tree is 3' tall, made of heart shaped tinsel hoops with fibreoptic bundles.  Tacky Tree actually is what I call it, because it just is so tacky.  And I love it!  As a child I had a small version, about 1' tall, but no lights, it had little cherry or smaller sized glass baubles at the ends of the branches.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
We had that white/silver tree with the separate rotating colored lights!  Yes, it sat next to the gold flower sofa, on the green almost shag carpet, in front of the fake wood paneled walls. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

juanita

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
For those in the U.S.:  The Woolworth's luncheon counter.  I remember one at El Cerrito Plaza and it wasn't half bad when I was a kid.

If you drove I-80 between SF and Chicago, there was a chain of stores named Stuckey's.  They had some sort of candy roll that was to die for.

They are called pecan rolls :) I swear my DH loves to travel just so he can get those.  Lol

BarensMom

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
For those in the U.S.:  The Woolworth's luncheon counter.  I remember one at El Cerrito Plaza and it wasn't half bad when I was a kid.

If you drove I-80 between SF and Chicago, there was a chain of stores named Stuckey's.  They had some sort of candy roll that was to die for.

They are called pecan rolls :) I swear my DH loves to travel just so he can get those.  Lol

So Stuckey's is still around?  I haven't driven that route in years and the one off I-80 near Dixon, CA, closed years ago.  It was taken over by a gas station that used to have a giant green brontosaurus standing outside.  That went away too, unfortunately.

Mikayla

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
The brontosaurus is Sinclair.  It's still on the logo and we have a couple near me, but I'm not sure if any of them still put the dinosaur out front!  That would be cute.

BarensMom

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »
The brontosaurus is Sinclair.  It's still on the logo and we have a couple near me, but I'm not sure if any of them still put the dinosaur out front!  That would be cute.

They have a web page devoted to them:  http://www.agilitynut.com/dinos/sinclair2.html

Although they don't have a picture of the one near Dixon.  He was much bigger than the ones pictured on the website.

Jones

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »
This may sound silly, but remember the old-fashioned Fisher Price Little People? They were small and cylinderical, a portion of the size of the current brand. We'd set up whole villages in the basement and every time we found more at the garage sales I'd get excited, even though they generally looked like twins of the ones I already had. The city center, the castle, the farm, the circus train, a Western theme set; my city was amazing. I thought they'd be around forever, but now you search for them and they are deemed "collectible" and "vintage."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
Yep, my mom still has all of it for our kids when we visit.  We had the schoolhouse, garage, house, farm, circus train and something else that I can't remember.  One of my aunts had the Holiday Inn set at her house and we played with it when we went there. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »
YES! i remember them.  My grandmother had the ferris wheel and I loved playing with that.

Maggie

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
Hostess?  I just think it is very sad what is happening to them.  According to what I have heard though they were not doing well before the strike either so maybe it is for the best for their family.  I honestly did not know they were still a privately held company until today. 

magicdomino

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Hostess?  I just think it is very sad what is happening to them.  According to what I have heard though they were not doing well before the strike either so maybe it is for the best for their family.  I honestly did not know they were still a privately held company until today.

RIP Twinkies, Snoballs, and the famous Hostess Cupcake with its swirl of white icing.  Tastycake makes better fruit pies, though.   :)   I have to admit, I've bought only a few  packages of Snoballs in the last few years.  Even then, they were on sale.  Twinkies and their cousins taste better in my memory than in real life.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

RIP Twinkies, Snoballs, and the famous Hostess Cupcake with its swirl of white icing.  Tastycake makes better fruit pies, though.   :)   I have to admit, I've bought only a few  packages of Snoballs in the last few years.  Even then, they were on sale.  Twinkies and their cousins taste better in my memory than in real life.

And of course, people are already selling Twinkies on Ebay. 

I agree Twinkies taste better in you memory.  I had one a few months ago and was really disappointed.

snowflake

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
This may sound silly, but remember the old-fashioned Fisher Price Little People? They were small and cylinderical, a portion of the size of the current brand. We'd set up whole villages in the basement and every time we found more at the garage sales I'd get excited, even though they generally looked like twins of the ones I already had. The city center, the castle, the farm, the circus train, a Western theme set; my city was amazing. I thought they'd be around forever, but now you search for them and they are deemed "collectible" and "vintage."

They still make little people toys, but apparently the last ones were the right size and shape to go down the esophogus/windpipe.  So all the ones I have are welded into their cars.  :/

Jones

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »

They still make little people toys, but apparently the last ones were the right size and shape to go down the esophogus/windpipe.  So all the ones I have are welded into their cars.  :/

Yeah, I understand why they recalled them, it's kind of sad though. Like lawn darts, it's all fun until someone gets hurt.
If I ever do stand up comedy I will bring up the fact that little people used to be small and thin. Now they are rather rotund looking and we have an obesity epidemic. Coincidence?  ;D
Vintage toy
Modern toy

magicdomino

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
Remember Creepy Crawlers and Creeple People?  Creepy Crawlers were bugs, worms, etc., and Creeple People were weird heads and feet that you stuck on pencils. You poured goop into molds, and placed the molds on a hot metal plate to cook.  A very hot metal plate.   :) I understand a safer version resembling a small Easy-Bake oven came out more recently, but somehow that isn't the same.  I don't think it sold the same, either.

Another oldie and not-so-goodie:  did anyone else try computer programming on punch cards?  You did not want to drop those things.