Author Topic: Remembering old stuff  (Read 5874 times)

Editeer

Re: Remembering old stuff
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
Remember Creepy Crawlers and Creeple People?  Creepy Crawlers were bugs, worms, etc., and Creeple People were weird heads and feet that you stuck on pencils. You poured goop into molds, and placed the molds on a hot metal plate to cook.  A very hot metal plate.   :) I understand a safer version resembling a small Easy-Bake oven came out more recently, but somehow that isn't the same.  I don't think it sold the same, either.

The Mattel Thing-Maker! Oh, I loved that (and burned myself on it a few times).

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
Hostess?  I just think it is very sad what is happening to them.  According to what I have heard though they were not doing well before the strike either so maybe it is for the best for their family.  I honestly did not know they were still a privately held company until today.

RIP Twinkies, Snoballs, and the famous Hostess Cupcake with its swirl of white icing.  Tastycake makes better fruit pies, though.   :)   I have to admit, I've bought only a few  packages of Snoballs in the last few years.  Even then, they were on sale.  Twinkies and their cousins taste better in my memory than in real life.

And of course, people are already selling Twinkies on Ebay. 

I agree Twinkies taste better in you memory.  I had one a few months ago and was really disappointed.

They're going to sell off any of the brands that other companies are willing to buy, so I doubt Twinkies are going too far. I like the cupcakes; the twinkies are just OK IMO.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
Hostess?  I just think it is very sad what is happening to them.  According to what I have heard though they were not doing well before the strike either so maybe it is for the best for their family.  I honestly did not know they were still a privately held company until today.

RIP Twinkies, Snoballs, and the famous Hostess Cupcake with its swirl of white icing.  Tastycake makes better fruit pies, though.   :)   I have to admit, I've bought only a few  packages of Snoballs in the last few years.  Even then, they were on sale.  Twinkies and their cousins taste better in my memory than in real life.

I agree Twinkies taste better in you memory.  I had one a few months ago and was really disappointed.

Twinkies leaving production? Sweet... One step closer to the Zombie Apocalypse!
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
But I have always heard that Twinkies would survive the Apocalypse!   What will we eat now?
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

BarensMom

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

Twinkies leaving production? Sweet... One step closer to the Zombie Apocalypse!

But what will we eat while fighting the Zombie Horde?

JustCallMePat

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Remember Creepy Crawlers and Creeple People?  Creepy Crawlers were bugs, worms, etc., and Creeple People were weird heads and feet that you stuck on pencils. You poured goop into molds, and placed the molds on a hot metal plate to cook.  A very hot metal plate.   :) I understand a safer version resembling a small Easy-Bake oven came out more recently, but somehow that isn't the same.  I don't think it sold the same, either.

Another oldie and not-so-goodie:  did anyone else try computer programming on punch cards?  You did not want to drop those things.

It had all the requirements for kids to have a good time - high temperatures, electricity, a pan of water, brightly colored toxic liquids in a squeeze bottle.  Why are these not popular today?  Give one to the kids in the basement and you can feel safe knowing they're playing with it unsupervised!

On punch cards, I remember being in the lab an hour before a final project was due.  Some kid with a cardboard suitcase, all the cards carefully arranged in precise order, came running in and headed for the reader.  Then he tripped and the cards went scattering across the floor.  I've never seen anyone start crying so quickly or loudly!

We had to turn in program listings with our output.  A favorite trick was to insert a comment card into someone else's deck which would create a line on their listing saying something like "Professor Jones is a jerk"... or something much, much worse!  >:D 

Ah, the good ol' days!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
Double old stuff here and a bit of fun. 

There was a time in the 1980s when Public Television in the USA was running a series of silent movies. my mother and I wanted to watch but my father went upstairs to bed. 

We ladies got hungry and wanted popcorn.  The microwave was unknown to us so we had to put kernels and oil into a pan that had a handle to turn at the top.  I volunteered to make the popcorn but Mom would have to read the titles aloud so I could keep track of the story.

She did and she did it with great style. 

'Unhand me, you brute!'

'I will never agree to your outrageous demands!'

We heard a thundering noise and Dad appeared in the TV room with a baseball bat.  Half-asleep, he thought the house was being invaded and ran downstairs to protect his womenfolk. 

Relations in the house were a bit strained the next day but my mother and I shared a few little smiles. 

chigger

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2012, 06:10:23 AM »
[quote author=kherbert05 link=topic=122537.msg2830169#msg2830169 date=1

Dad packing 3 - 4 gallons of water per person to take to the beach. He would sit the gallon jugs in the sand so they would be warm. Then before we got in the car, you would stand by your door and he would pour the water over you to get the sand/salt off. Then you would sit on a fresh towel and stick your feet out the door and he would wash them off and check the bottoms for tar - lighter fluid to get that off then more water from the jug
[/quote]

That brings back memories, my father did the same thing.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
Double old stuff here and a bit of fun. 

There was a time in the 1980s when Public Television in the USA was running a series of silent movies. my mother and I wanted to watch but my father went upstairs to bed. 

We ladies got hungry and wanted popcorn.  The microwave was unknown to us so we had to put kernels and oil into a pan that had a handle to turn at the top.  I volunteered to make the popcorn but Mom would have to read the titles aloud so I could keep track of the story.

She did and she did it with great style. 

'Unhand me, you brute!'

'I will never agree to your outrageous demands!'

We heard a thundering noise and Dad appeared in the TV room with a baseball bat.  Half-asleep, he thought the house was being invaded and ran downstairs to protect his womenfolk. 

Relations in the house were a bit strained the next day but my mother and I shared a few little smiles.

I love it!

snowfire

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
On punch cards...

My father worked for IBM in the early days. So when my parents got married, geeks being geeks,  they threw the punchouts from the cards instead of rice.  The photographer loved it, they photographed very well.  My Mom was ready to kill someone.  Those punchouts got EVERYWHERE, especially places where you really didn't want them.  She swore she was still finding them years later.