General Etiquette > Dating

Do you accompany your SO to memorial services for people you never met?

(1/9) > >>

Shopaholic:
If your SO had a friend/distant relative who passed away long before you met, would you accompany him/her to an annual memorial service?

Please share why/why not.
Also, does "distance" matter - i.e. grandparent vs. second cousin once removed?

AngelicGamer:
I've seen this on other threads, but I agree with it.  Funerals/wakes/viking sendoffs/spreading of the ashes are for the living.  I think it would be a very nice thing to go with your SO to support him or her in their time of need.  So that's why I selected what I did.  :D

LifeOnPluto:
Yes, I would go if it was important to my SO.

I must say though, I've never heard of having a annual memorial service. Is this something that happens every year? Because I'm not sure whether I'd agree to go every.single.year. Especially if travel and related costs were involved, etc.

Ereine:
I've accompanied my boyfriend to all sorts of things where I know nobody (like his cousin's son's wedding, I had never met the happy couple and I don't think that my boyfriend knew them well), and though I really hate it, I would probably do it for a memorial service too. Though there are limits, I probably wouldn't do it if it involved traveling for a long distance and staying the night somewhere or I had to spend a lot of money. But if it was in the same town and seemed to be important to him I would go.   

cicero:
i voted yes, and i want to add "only if it would not cause anyone any distress" - e.g., if i am the "second wife", i probably wouldn't go to the service of the deceased "first wife".

as ereine says, i would go to a wedding of people i don't know because it's important to my SO. So if this is important to them, i would go to a memorial.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version