Author Topic: Which pencil to use?  (Read 1224 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Which pencil to use?
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:38:18 PM »
I love doing the puzzles in word puzzle books.  What drives me mad is that the paper is not exactly white and so the pencil is usually too light.  I asked at the art store and was told that the (ordinary writing pencils) number 2 was harder than the number 1.  I always use number 2 so I got number 1 and it's probably worse in terms of showing up.
Any ideas about what kind of lead works well?  Sometimes I go through a bunch of the same kind and some write darker than others, but usually not.  I'm on a pencil quest!  I've tried the mechanical pencils but same problem.
Suggestions and ideas are welcomed! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Gail

Re: Which pencil to use?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
I use a pen.
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
Ever used Ticonderoga pencils?  They're just #2s, but I find them to be the best in terms of how they write and how they sharpen.

ETA:  Look for the ones made in Mexico, not the ones made in China.  And they might work best when not completely sharp.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:53:24 PM by MommyPenguin »

demarco

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
I have never found a pencil that will do the job adequately.  I use a pen. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
i prefer mechanical pencils to pens any day.i guess i got used to using a pencil on suduku's so it doesn't bother me that it's a little light.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »
I use a pen.
Your confidence is overwhelming!  I would never use a pen.  I'm just not that spot on.  I wish I were.  I'm jealous!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:48:17 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »
Ever used Ticonderoga pencils?  They're just #2s, but I find them to be the best in terms of how they write and how they sharpen.

ETA:  Look for the ones made in Mexico, not the ones made in China.  And they might work best when not completely sharp.
Those were the ones  got recently in 1B.  I don't know when they were made, though.  I find the duller they get the lighter they are.  I'm going to look for the ones made in Mexico.  Thanks.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
I have never found a pencil that will do the job adequately.  I use a pen.
Another confident person!  I guess I could do that if I got extra books!   :-*
Maybe I should ask what kind of  pens.  I know there are erasable but they are only erasable for so long, I think and the erasers are kind of harsh. 
What I have done in the past on cryptograms is to put scotch tape (the un-shiny kind) over the puzzle so I'm not writing on the paper and erasing isn't such a problem.  I can wear holes in the paper!  Only ting.  I can make the pages curl but I didn't find that to be a problem.  Maybe I should try that with an erasable pen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:51:26 PM by Bijou »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
i prefer mechanical pencils to pens any day.i guess i got used to using a pencil on suduku's so it doesn't bother me that it's a little light.
What size lead do you use?  I have sizes 5 and 7 (I think) and some mechanical pencils around here.  Maybe I should try those again.

NyaChan

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »
Maybe copy it onto white paper first and then the pencil will show up better?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
The Walmart website shows there are erasable pens.

Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »
I don't do crosswords, but I used to sketch; how about a charcoal pencil?

SiotehCat

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
I also use pen. It has to be blue and it has to be written in all caps.

I am not confident though. In fact, I am not even very good. Sometimes I just make sure that the answers around it are also right. When I know everything is right, I write it down.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »
What size lead do you use?  I have sizes 5 and 7 (I think) and some mechanical pencils around here.  Maybe I should try those again.

I like the 7, since it's a little thicker and more visible on paper.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm not familiar with the #1 and #2 pencil ratings, rather the HB system. 

H measures hardness, B measures blackness.

I prefer to use a 2B or 3B pencil, they're soft and black as a night on the dark side of the moon.  They do blunten quickly though.

Try a good stationery supply or art store.  They should have a good range and some to try.