News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 28, 2016, 12:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which pencil to use?  (Read 2951 times)

Bijou

Which pencil to use?
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
I love doing the puzzles in word puzzle books.  What drives me mad is that the paper is not exactly white and so the pencil is usually too light.  I asked at the art store and was told that the (ordinary writing pencils) number 2 was harder than the number 1.  I always use number 2 so I got number 1 and it's probably worse in terms of showing up.
Any ideas about what kind of lead works well?  Sometimes I go through a bunch of the same kind and some write darker than others, but usually not.  I'm on a pencil quest!  I've tried the mechanical pencils but same problem.
Suggestions and ideas are welcomed! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Gail

Re: Which pencil to use?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »
I use a pen.
GNU Terry Pratchett

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
Ever used Ticonderoga pencils?  They're just #2s, but I find them to be the best in terms of how they write and how they sharpen.

ETA:  Look for the ones made in Mexico, not the ones made in China.  And they might work best when not completely sharp.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:53:24 PM by MommyPenguin »
Emily is 9 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 7 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 3 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 1 year old!  12/14

demarco

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
I have never found a pencil that will do the job adequately.  I use a pen. 

cicero

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
i prefer mechanical pencils to pens any day.i guess i got used to using a pencil on suduku's so it doesn't bother me that it's a little light.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bijou

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
I use a pen.
Your confidence is overwhelming!  I would never use a pen.  I'm just not that spot on.  I wish I were.  I'm jealous!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:48:17 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
Ever used Ticonderoga pencils?  They're just #2s, but I find them to be the best in terms of how they write and how they sharpen.

ETA:  Look for the ones made in Mexico, not the ones made in China.  And they might work best when not completely sharp.
Those were the ones  got recently in 1B.  I don't know when they were made, though.  I find the duller they get the lighter they are.  I'm going to look for the ones made in Mexico.  Thanks.

Bijou

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
I have never found a pencil that will do the job adequately.  I use a pen.
Another confident person!  I guess I could do that if I got extra books!   :-*
Maybe I should ask what kind of  pens.  I know there are erasable but they are only erasable for so long, I think and the erasers are kind of harsh. 
What I have done in the past on cryptograms is to put scotch tape (the un-shiny kind) over the puzzle so I'm not writing on the paper and erasing isn't such a problem.  I can wear holes in the paper!  Only ting.  I can make the pages curl but I didn't find that to be a problem.  Maybe I should try that with an erasable pen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:51:26 PM by Bijou »

Bijou

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
i prefer mechanical pencils to pens any day.i guess i got used to using a pencil on suduku's so it doesn't bother me that it's a little light.
What size lead do you use?  I have sizes 5 and 7 (I think) and some mechanical pencils around here.  Maybe I should try those again.

NyaChan

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
Maybe copy it onto white paper first and then the pencil will show up better?

rose red

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
The Walmart website shows there are erasable pens.

Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
I don't do crosswords, but I used to sketch; how about a charcoal pencil?
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

SiotehCat

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
I also use pen. It has to be blue and it has to be written in all caps.

I am not confident though. In fact, I am not even very good. Sometimes I just make sure that the answers around it are also right. When I know everything is right, I write it down.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
What size lead do you use?  I have sizes 5 and 7 (I think) and some mechanical pencils around here.  Maybe I should try those again.

I like the 7, since it's a little thicker and more visible on paper.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
I'm not familiar with the #1 and #2 pencil ratings, rather the HB system. 

H measures hardness, B measures blackness.

I prefer to use a 2B or 3B pencil, they're soft and black as a night on the dark side of the moon.  They do blunten quickly though.

Try a good stationery supply or art store.  They should have a good range and some to try.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)