Author Topic: Locked fire exits - how to be polite and not ridiculous?  (Read 6043 times)

Eden

Re: Locked fire exits - how to be polite and not ridiculous?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Calling the fire marshal to investigate this store is fine and a smart idea, but at this point, we don't know this store is breaking any codes.

I agree with this and with those who said mentioning calling the fire marshall to the manager may have been over the line (not the concern behind it). Several 24-hour groceries in my area lock (although do not block) all but one door during late-night hours. I've even seen police visiting the store during this time so wonder if they really are in violation.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »
We don't know if he's breaking the law.  All the grocery stores I shop at and worked at have emergency doors with alarms in the back and side and they are never blocked.  But at least one of the two or three automatic doors in front is usually locked during night time when there are few customers.  Many stores only have one door in the front.  I hesitate to compare this situation to a packed nightclubs or schools that blocked/locked their only front door and emergency exits.

Calling the fire marshal to investigate this store is fine and a smart idea, but at this point, we don't know this store is breaking any codes.

Actually, we do.  The OP stated there is signage over each door that they must remain unlocked during business hours.  Logic would dictate for fire escape purposes. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
We don't know if he's breaking the law.  All the grocery stores I shop at and worked at have emergency doors with alarms in the back and side and they are never blocked.  But at least one of the two or three automatic doors in front is usually locked during night time when there are few customers.  Many stores only have one door in the front.  I hesitate to compare this situation to a packed nightclubs or schools that blocked/locked their only front door and emergency exits.

I somehow doubt that they bought signs that said the doors were not to be locked for no real purpose.

I agree - call the Fire Marshall's Office and let them sort it out.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gen xer

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
 Count me in with those who say "Call the Fire Marshall" first with your concern.  Maybe there is a violation and maybe there isn't....they will decide.

The manager is probably fielding questions and concerns CONSTANTLY and yes - I know it is part of his job - but I'll bet he gets a bit of "worried customer fatigue" which could lead to the dismissive attitude the OP was mentioning.  I can just imagine him privately thinking "Here we go again with another do-gooder concerned citizen.  If he complains about the fire hazard then next week it will be some old lady fussing about how serial killers could be lurking outside those doors if they aren't locked.  I can't win. There's always something."

That being said if it is a law that the doors remain open there is really no other option.  That is why I think it best to bring it directly to the fire marshall.  You are bypassing the dismissive manager and going straight to resolving the problem.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
As a side note, if the area has that much crime I don't think I'd shop there any more even if they do deal with the fire exit issue.  And if that is the reason for the blocked exits the workers have my sympathy.

Susiqzer

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »
Parking my pod with everyone else who said to call the fire marshall. Locally -- and recently -- the Station Nightclub in RI locked/blocked fire doors with disastrous results.

And OP, I'd like to thank you for raising this topic. I'm not generally aware of emergency exits, and I really should know where they are in places where I frequently shop.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Count me in with those who say "Call the Fire Marshall" first with your concern.  Maybe there is a violation and maybe there isn't....they will decide.

The manager is probably fielding questions and concerns CONSTANTLY and yes - I know it is part of his job - but I'll bet he gets a bit of "worried customer fatigue" which could lead to the dismissive attitude the OP was mentioning.  I can just imagine him privately thinking "Here we go again with another do-gooder concerned citizen.  If he complains about the fire hazard then next week it will be some old lady fussing about how serial killers could be lurking outside those doors if they aren't locked.  I can't win. There's always something."

That being said if it is a law that the doors remain open there is really no other option.  That is why I think it best to bring it directly to the fire marshall.  You are bypassing the dismissive manager and going straight to resolving the problem.

That is a really good point.

I'll admit, i am a bit touchy about fire; but i don't think your concern was overboard. There are a lot of stories of people getting stuck in a building, and they are horrifying. That doesn't make it a "safety trumps etiquette" situation as there was no immediate danger, so even incidental rudeness is not warranted, but i don't blame you for asking (gen xer's excellent point notwithstanding).

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem